Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm hoping to apply for a masters course and it requires a 2:1 or above. Given that all other aspects of the application are good, how much higher up does a first class degree put you on the applicant list than a 2:1?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of Employment:

NO

Work experience and 2:1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> 1st

In terms of Masters application , not sure but I would assume yes but very slightly

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it definitely makes a difference. It's difficult to quantify as it's just one part of the application. But it counts.

When I got my PhD funding, the application was based on a points system. One set of points came from the applicant's academic achievements. In the end, my total score was exactly on the border needed. So if I hadn't got a first, I wouldn't have got funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)
    In terms of Employment:

NO

Work experience and 2:1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> 1st

In terms of Masters application , not sure but I would assume yes but very slightly
    Work experience and 1st >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2:1.
    Stop being silly you can easily have a first and work experience, in fact you're more likely to secure that internship with a first. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

MrBean1994
    Yes a 1st will make you more appealing than a 2.1 both to employers and postgraduate admissions as it shows you to be the best of the best. There is no order in which applications are processed (to the best of my knowledge), but for waiting lists firsts are placed on the top of the pecking order.

ReputationRep:
    It will make life easier, there's no denying it. But that is not to say that a 2.1 will not get you into most postgraduate courses in the U.K.

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted a 2.1 and i've made damn sure to have loads of extracurricular stuff to boost myself up. Seems to have worked, I have an offer for an MSc at UCL

A first makes you look like a bad ass.

But work experience and a solid degree is paramount to success.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.