Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel so self-conscious in the gym Watch

ReputationRep:
    How can you stop feeling so self-conscious and awkward in the gym? It's something I've recently discovered I actually enjoy. TBH at this stage I only really go on the treadmill and cross-trainer as I'm quite new to the whole gym thing. I love it in there when it's quiet but when it's busy I feel so intimidated. I feel like people are looking down on me, thinking, 'that girl doesn't even know what she's doing' and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Two simple things you can do.

1) Go with a friend.

2) Make sure you do actually know what you are doing. Research online, ask a trainer etc.

Feeling intimidated is normal when you start something new in public, be it amateur dramatics, a music group or whatever. You will habituate to the feeling in time. Also, check out the "spotlight effect": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_effect

ReputationRep:
    Guess you haven't tried the group classes/workouts then I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay on top of your gym membership fee to attend them, unlike with personal training. If you can make a friend(s) off the group classes/workouts you'd be feeling a lot more content and confident

ReputationRep:
    Also remember, no one truly comes out of the womb like a muscular baby. They all start as amatuers. Probably feeling the same. Listen to some songs that pump you up and make you strut rather than walk. For me they're songs like Eye of the Tiger, AC/DC stuff, Miss Alissa by Eagles of Death Metal, etc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its in your head.
    Its a common feeling but the answer is always the same.

Nobody is interested in you or what you are doing as they are more interested in themselves.

Things that can help:

1. Have a plan and routine so you know what it is you are doing. Dont just do cardio, but get a basic resistance routine and do that 3x a week.
    2. Go at times when its quiet and as you build confidence you will worry less.
    3. Music is a good way of keeping distracted.
    4. Record your times, so you can measure progress, push yourself so more of your focus is on a good wokout. Progres gives confidence.
    5. Try a class, which is more social. although you will be self conscious with that until you get used to it.
    6. Go with a friend if need be.
    7. Pay for a few lessons woth a PT.
    8. Do some research online for ideas about what you might be doing for a routine. Nerdfitness, myfitness pal.

Did I say people dont care?

The key is to stick ot out, it takes 6-10 weeks and then you become comfy and you cna spot the new joiners as well. It will feel natural going to the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Take it from a guy who goes to the gym a lot. We don't look down on people, generally we are a friendly bunch and are happy to help with any fitness related queries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    I feel like people are looking down on me, thinking, that girl doesn't even know what she's doing and stuff.
    Having been a gym user for over 10 years I can safely say that the overwhelming majority of people will not give a second thought to your workout unless you make a huge mistake. Even then, we're British and won't look too long for fear of embarrassment via osmosis.
    In fact, a big chunk of people that go to (commercial) gyms don't really know what they're doing so you'll probably be in the majority anyway. On top of that, everyone has to start somewhere and only the most arrogant gym users won't appreciate that fact.
    But yeah, have a look at yt videos to see how to do things properly, with good form, and get to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Two simple things you can do.

1) Go with a friend.

2) Make sure you do actually know what you are doing. Research online, ask a trainer etc.

Feeling intimidated is normal when you start something new in public, be it amateur dramatics, a music group or whatever. You will habituate to the feeling in time. Also, check out the "spotlight effect": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_effect
    Thanks, I have been with a friend before and we were both in the same boat so it was a laugh. I'm living at home at the moment so I usually go with my Mum haha. The past couple weeks we've been going every other day. At first I just stayed by her side as felt scared lol but she only goes on the treadmill, I've now managed to attempt the bike, cross trainer, stairs climbing thingy, the arm bike and the thing that vibrated you - I just kind of stood there a bit awkwardly feeling too foolish to do any stretches or anything - does it actually do anything that machine? Going there is really nice though as we go in the spa and pool together and sometimes get lunch; good mother daughter days 😊

I need to get over my fear of approaching people things! I struggle even ordering drinks in a bar. But if I build up my confidence enough I'm sure it would be beneficial to talk to them and maybe even get a little exercise plan.

I looked up spotlight effect and it's so interesting! I definitely have that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Follow some fitness channels and go to the gym more often.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly most ppl in the gym think they know a lot more about it than they do, i saw a guy telling another guy that he was doing some weights wrong, and then the fitness guy comes over and says the guy was wrong in what he was telling the other guy

relax and do what you want to, let people mind themselves before they mind others

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think people even see you let alone think about you? They probably don't care and are concentrating on themselves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    Why do you think people even see you let alone think about you? They probably don't care and are concentrating on themselves
    Mmm yeah they probably are. I'm assuming you meant to be helpful and insightful but you came out sounding quite blunt and rude there. Thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Guess you haven't tried the group classes/workouts then I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay on top of your gym membership fee to attend them, unlike with personal training. If you can make a friend(s) off the group classes/workouts you'd be feeling a lot more content and confident
    Thanks for the reply. I've now tried yoga, Pilates and Zumba so I'm getting there! Hoping to try a few more too! I find it scary but I feel good after I've done it. I'm not a sporty girl at all so this stuff is not in my nature! Pretty much all the members are a lot older than me but I actually feel more comfortable that way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well the key thing is to have a goal set up , make a fitness plan and then make sure you follow through correctly , i.e good form.

ReputationRep:
    honestly, no one cares.
    any that do are losers, so no need to worry about their opinon of you lol

ReputationRep:
    Only time I've ever noticed anyone in the gym is when they're grunting like a pig in ****. Keep quiet and nobody will pay you any mind, they're all too busy too care what you're doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went jogging today and felt self conscious to the point where I'd stop when other people were approaching me but just kept telling myself other people do it too so not to worry. Other people may genuinely just be focussing on what they're doing. Remind yourself of why you're there and what you want out of your gym sessions, how it'll benefit you in the future too x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Life's too short to worry. You're doing what's making you happy. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I joined the gym last month and I agree it can be rather awkward when you have strangers around you, but you should take into consideration that everybody just gets on with their own thing whilst working out. As concentration is needed at the gym to be able to do a good, well done workout. And sometimes people are just curious as to who's the new person at the gym, which does not mean they are judging you, so you need not worry, I'm sure its a feeling that many new people at the gym get, but over time you adjust and those feelings will go.

ReputationRep:
    as the others said nobody cares ! i have been going to the gym for 5 years & have spoken to about 3 people ( apart from asking if apparatus X is free or if they would mind moving their stuff off the platform of the pull up machine which is used as a storage facility )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.