Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feel so self-conscious in the gym Watch

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try some classes to get a bit more familiar with the environment there and to interact with the instructors and even the members? But as others have said most people don't really pay you much mind as they are focusing on their own journey. Everyone has in common that they are working towards their goals and health so everyone is the same boat really we're all trying to better ourselves. Of course there are always awkward moments (I find loud grunting in the gym really uncomfortable I can't get used to that) but you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Everyone feels out of place at a gym when your new, but it gets easier when you start to relax. Every single person in that gym had to start somewhere

ReputationRep:
    I'm a newbie too! When I see people looking at me, which are quite often men, I confront them and ask them if they want it in the ass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    I'm a newbie too! When I see people looking at me, which are quite often men, I confront them and ask them if they want it in the ass
    What sort of gym do you go to!

ReputationRep:
    It get's to the point if you're running, where you are too focused or too much in pain lol to notice what other people think. I know it's easier said than done but screw what other people think - the you exercising is as fabulous as the you watching TV and eating stale oreos! Also, music really helps, make a workout playlist with some absolute bangers and turn it up loud!
    Good luck, you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    That's amazing, you go mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbelle2)
    How can you stop feeling so self-conscious and awkward in the gym? It's something I've recently discovered I actually enjoy. TBH at this stage I only really go on the treadmill and cross-trainer as I'm quite new to the whole gym thing. I love it in there when it's quiet but when it's busy I feel so intimidated. I feel like people are looking down on me, thinking, 'that girl doesn't even know what she's doing' and stuff.
    Tbh I enjoy going to the gym and meeting friends keeping up to date with all my Brahs, but nothing is better than wearing a massive jumper with my headphones on and zoning out, getting a great session in as well. J

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the encouraging replies and support everyone! 😊😊😊 I'm still going a several times a week and I still feel anxious and intimidated at times but I think it's getting easier! 😘💪

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.