The Student Room Group

2nd Mar: Have you ever had a sober night out?

Scroll to see replies

I've had nights out where I wasn't really that drunk at all but most of the time I'm properly drunk. Personally, I feel like I can't relax and let my hair down and dance in public without being at least a bit drunk. I have a few friends who don't drink for religious reasons, and they still manage to have fun sober, but it wouldn't be for me.
My first ever night out was sober. Only because my mum said she'd never let me out on another one if I came back drunk. I still enjoyed most of it.
I'm sure some amount of alcohol has been involved in nights out from then on!
not sure ive had a sober night out, but definitely had one where i have not been "pissed"
I don't think you need alcohol to have a good time. I can't drink because of a lung condition and the meds I take which sometimes makes me feel like I'm missing out on being a normal student but my friends are brilliant and absolutely hilarious so I have a good time with them anyway, even without drinking. It's the company that makes for a good time, not alcohol!
No pressure, I don't drink when I go out
Reply 45
I don't usually drink when I go out with friends. Maybe if we decide to sit around in a pub, but even then I'll just have enough to get tipsy.

I never saw the point in getting so drunk that you can't walk straight, where's the fun in that?
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery with Gemma & Dr Radha we’re talking about alcohol.

Do you need alcohol to have a good time? Have you ever felt pressured to drink?And is binge drinking worth the hangover and embarrassing stories? Tell us what you think on here!

Just to let you know that you can post anonymously in this forum!

I drink if I want to. Not because my friends are. Sometimes I'll be the sober one and they will all be drunk or the other way around. Sometimes we are all sober and sometimes we are all drunk. Depends on what we feel like doing. None of us pressure anyone into drinking.
I go out sober pretty much every time I go out. I tend to find that so long as the company is good, the night is good, regardless of my state of inebriation (or lack thereof). At the same time, I feel safer in myself and able to look after other people if needed when I've got a clear head. I've never felt a pressure to drink - I'm pretty happy choosing when I feel comfortable to do so or not.
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery with Gemma & Dr Radha we’re talking about alcohol.

Do you need alcohol to have a good time? Have you ever felt pressured to drink?And is binge drinking worth the hangover and embarrassing stories? Tell us what you think on here!

Just to let you know that you can post anonymously in this forum!

I did have a sober night out once and it was a very bizarre experience for me. You become very aware how ridiculous everyone is in the club.
For me a bit of alcohol gives me a much needed confidence boost and I actually enjoy drinking. Some nights have definitely been a mistake, but we all have to learn our limits.
Once, lost my card so I had no money. Worst night out, was sod boring being drunk.
Yes, a few times. Usually out of circumstance rather than choice. There have been times when it has been so busy I was only able to buy a few pints over a whole evening. And when I gave up alcohol during Lent I went out sober. Not the greatest of experiences to be honest.

I use to spend many a night sober as a steward at a nightclub, which was an eye-opening experience. It takes all the glamour away, and observing people barely capable or standing yet still wanting to drink more was sad. Try get a drunk person to stay clear of a fire exit, or not sit on a staircase and suddenly you are a 'control freak' who is simply doing it to take the piss :lol: Or trying seeing a 50 year old women refuse to leave, trying to sleep on the tables and subsequently lighting up a cigarette indoors. Regardless of how ridiculous the behaviour of the person it was always somehow your fault for throwing them out, even when you had given them various prior warnings. Alcohol turns a lot of people into idiots. I don't miss that job.
I've only ever been to one house party in my life so far, because I'm super introverted and parties aren't really my thing. As soon as I got tipsy, I stopped drinking and I had water and crisps. I didn't have a hangover in the morning but I still had a good time. Next time though, I might stay sober. My friend always stays sober and she says it's really entertaining to watch all the drunk people around you do stupid things.
yep, last night. i had a hangover from the night before but by the time it came to going out i was fine again. however, i have a train to catch today and so just chilled. it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be tbh

Quick Reply

Latest