Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know it will not be a walk in the park, but what should i do in terms of ;
    lec notes
    revision
    seminars
    etc..

ReputationRep:
    Find a balance between self study, group study and taking your knowledge further than what you are taught,

Independent study is good because it highlights your strengths and weaknesses as an individual as well as making it abundantly clear which areas of mathematics you find interesting. Collaboration allows you to work in groups and communicate ideas and concepts as well as helping each other on your weaknesses and above all, go beyond what is covered in lecture, either independently or as a group, it helps leaps and bounds because you are no longer just knowing and answering something but you begin to formalise your knowledge into a working format where you can apply it outside of the classroom/lecture hall.

In terms of lecture notes, it depends on the teaching style of the lecturer in combination with your learning style. Some have well structured lecture notes and just talk about the topics or go through their notes on a projector or board. In this case, I find printing the notes off before lecturer and bringing them with you is effective. Some bring laptops but I like to be able to jot in notes where relevant and indicate any errors identified, vague explanations and mathematics which are not thoroughly explained, or just a general note to self for further revision. Seminars are always useful to attend but more so imperative when you undertake mathematics research. This is because is sparks ideas in your head, my aid your research or just gives you an opportunity to network.

I find I best learn through conceptual exercises, for example, once I have learned the rules of differentiation, I may go off and explore all possible avenues of the chain rule of functions which gives you the utmost confidence to tackle exam style questions. Mathematics will only be as hard as you allow it to, the more you do it, the easier it becomes, until you realise you have reached a new plateau, and then the process repeats itself.

BSc Mathematics/MSc Applied Mathematics

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.