Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'll keep it short, and elaborate later if need be.

I'm currently in my first year at uni, studying journalism. I work part time too, as a teacher of sorts (I am a swimming instructor) and absolutely love it. Originally I was planning a career in journalism or some similar media career path. However, after working with children, in my current job, for 3 years now, I have realised just how much teaching is meant for me.

There is a particular school which I walk past on the way to uni, and I actually teach a few children who currently attend. All are fantastic children who really are a testament to the high quality of teacher and discipline etc at the school. I did a bit of research into the school and have absolutely fallen in love with it. There are a couple of vacancies there at the moment actually (not that it's of any relevance to me right now, being in my first year at uni still).

The school's ethos really appeals to me, and I feel I'd fit perfectly.

I'm already thinking I would love to teach for them once I've graduated as a NQT. What can I do exactly to boost my chances of getting in with them?

I mean both in terms of present & future.

That didn't really end up being brief at all. Apologies.

Thanks,
    James

ReputationRep:
    I would focus on your current degree, and volunteer at this school. You will get your foot in the door and get to know if teaching is really for you.

You would need some (if not vast) classroom experience before a PGCE or alternative so you would be killing two birds with one stone here. You would get expierence and your foot in the door. I would also check UCAS to see if there are any ITT programmes at this school

Finally, ask yourself if you would be willing to work for another school. A degree + PGCE is a lot of work if your not willing to work for another school. I don't want to put words in your mouth but If you have no interest in being a journalist anymore are you doing the right degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S27)
    I would focus on your current degree, and volunteer at this school. You will get your foot in the door and get to know if teaching is really for you.

You would need some (if not vast) classroom experience before a PGCE or alternative so you would be killing two birds with one stone here. You would get expierence and your foot in the door. I would also check UCAS to see if there are any ITT programmes at this school

Finally, ask yourself if you would be willing to work for another school. A degree + PGCE is a lot of work if your not willing to work for another school. I don't want to put words in your mouth but If you have no interest in being a journalist anymore are you doing the right degree?
    Oh don't get me wrong, I am not going to allow my future to hinge solely on one school; I'm just particularly fond of this one.

As for my degree, I'm enjoying the course and its contents. It's just also allowed me to realise I do not want to pursue it as a permanent, post-grad career anymore. More a hobby.

Will get in contact with UCAS and see what comes back. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    No

(Original post by Diablo_James)
    Oh don't get me wrong, I am not going to allow my future to hinge solely on one school; I'm just particularly fond of this one.

As for my degree, I'm enjoying the course and its contents. It's just also allowed me to realise I do not want to pursue it as a permanent, post-grad career anymore. More a hobby.

Will get in contact with UCAS and see what comes back. Cheers.
    No problem. here is the list for 2016/17
    http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run

I know many schools in my area are on this list. My secondary school is also there, but i wouldn't wish teahcing thier on anybody!

ReputationRep:
    Also, you are unlikely to get a job in journalism, by studying the subject. The big newspapers and media houses prefer English or History. Traditional subjects.

ReputationRep:
    The chances of getting an NQT post there hinge on so many variable factors that would be outside of your control. It would depend on someone in the department leaving (new job, retirement, maternity) which is often unlikely in the best schools as teachers get their foot in the door and stay until they retire. Even then, you'd have to make it through the PGCE and beat off other potential applicants. Depending on the subject (I'm assuming Journalism would lead you into English?), competition for NQT posts can be extremely high and you may well be up against other experienced teachers.

Just another thought, when doing your PGCE, you might realise it's not the type of school you actually want to work in. I remember being infatuated with a school I volunteered at and really thought I'd want to work there. Similar situation really, now I'm on my PGCE and no vacancies came up (or probably will) as the same teachers from 2/3/4 years ago are there and have been there for many years. But I also realised after my first placement (at a completely polar opposite school) that the school I had my heart set on wasn't quite the environment I wanted to be a teacher in. Schools and classrooms can feel a lot different from the other side and it's hard to say where you'll want to work until you've experienced contrasting schools (which they try to do during the course).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.