Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Car tax problem - please help!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I bought a second hand car off a friend. Basically, my old car stopped working and I didn't have the money for another so they paid for it and then picked it up from a seller and put the car in their name so that they are the registered keeper so that they could insure it to drive back to mine.

I've now insured it and paid them the money for the car. They haven't yet received the V5C to say that they are the 'new owner' so we can't exchange documents so that I'm now the registered keeper.

I tried to use the green slip from the V5 (V5C2) which my friend received from the seller but the online system won't allow me to use it because it says a new V5C has been issued and I have to use that. Well that V5C is not in my name - it's in my mates name AND he hasn't received it yet.

I've tried ringing the DVLA and they won't answer the phone - I need to drive to work but I'm untaxed and someone told me that driving an untaxed car invalidates the insurance.

What am I supposed to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    I bought a second hand car off a friend. Basically, my old car stopped working and I didn't have the money for another so they paid for it and then picked it up from a seller and put the car in their name so that they are the registered keeper so that they could insure it to drive back to mine.

I've now insured it and paid them the money for the car. They haven't yet received the V5C to say that they are the 'new owner' so we can't exchange documents so that I'm now the registered keeper.

I tried to use the green slip from the V5 (V5C2) which my friend received from the seller but the online system won't allow me to use it because it says a new V5C has been issued and I have to use that. Well that V5C is not in my name - it's in my mates name AND he hasn't received it yet.

I've tried ringing the DVLA and they won't answer the phone - I need to drive to work but I'm untaxed and someone told me that driving an untaxed car invalidates the insurance.

give your friends the money so they can tax it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    give your friends the money so they can tax it.
    They can't they haven't received the V5C! No one can tax this vehicle - not me, not the previous owner, not my friend. It's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    They can't they haven't received the V5C! No one can tax this vehicle - not me, not the previous owner, not my friend. It's ridiculous.
    give your insurers a ring to ask for their advice.

ReputationRep:

Hi
    Try calling this number it is the direct DVLA Vehicle Tax department
    0300 790 6802
    Furthermore explain the situation to them and they may be able to change the V5C document into your name and also do the tax for you via phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymania999)
    Hi
    Try calling this number it is the direct DVLA Vehicle Tax department
    0300 790 6802
    Furthermore explain the situation to them and they may be able to change the V5C document into your name and also do the tax for you via phone.
    Thank you SO much.

ReputationRep:
    ANSWER:

For anyone else who has this issue and find this via Google or whatever.

The DVLA will not handle this over the phone. Their advice is to 'wait' for the documents to come through and tax the vehicle using the reference number on the new documents - I can do that, my friend doesn't need to since we're transferring the vehicle. The documents take 2-4 weeks to arrive, LOL. So apparently even though I've paid for the car, got a valid MOT and insured it - I'm not allowed to drive it for up to a month because they are incapable of sorting out the tax even though I'm willing to pay it ASAP. The only other thing they can suggest is to go to the post office and take the old documentation along with the MOT certificate and ask if they will tax it at their discretion but they can refuse because it's outdated.

Excellent system DVLA - very helpful - NOT!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you didn't put it in your name to start.

You don't have to be the registered keeper to insure a vehicle... That would be ridiculous.

Also, by doing this you've added another previous owner which will reduce its value if/when you come to sell it on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    I don't understand why you didn't put it in your name to start.

You don't have to be the registered keeper to insure a vehicle... That would be ridiculous.

Also, by doing this you've added another previous owner which will reduce its value if/when you come to sell it on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because I didn't fill out the documents, some else did. I thought I made that pretty clear actually.

ReputationRep:
    Because I didn't fill out the documents, some else did. I thought I made that pretty clear actually.
    You made it clear - but you justified it by saying it was so they could insure it.

Would have been easier if you'd gone along and sorted the tax.

Anyway what's done is done - you'll only really be able to formally buy it back off them once they get the V5 through.

Then you can use the new keeper slip to tax it in your name. You can, however, insure yourself on it assuming they've taxed it (on their new keeper slip).

There's a bit of a fallacy with the new tax system - the month in which a car is sold is paid again by the new keeper who has to tax it from the beginning of the same month. Therefore every time a used car is sold on, the gov't gets an extra month of VED paid to them. This may put you out of pocket if you're paying for tax throughout this complicated transfer process...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaymarriott)
    You made it clear - but you justified it by saying it was so they could insure it.

Would have been easier if you'd gone along and sorted the tax.

Anyway what's done is done - you'll only really be able to formally buy it back off them once they get the V5 through.

Then you can use the new keeper slip to tax it in your name. You can, however, insure yourself on it assuming they've taxed it (on their new keeper slip).

There's a bit of a fallacy with the new tax system - the month in which a car is sold is paid again by the new keeper who has to tax it from the beginning of the same month. Therefore every time a used car is sold on, the gov't gets an extra month of VED paid to them. This may put you out of pocket if you're paying for tax throughout this complicated transfer process...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Luckily a very understanding man at the post office taxed it with the old document and then filled out a V62 for me and sent it all off. So now I'm legally on the roads and the V5C that my friend receives will be invalid and there's one in the post for me. Madness. Next time I'll be sure to use my crystal ball to make sure I get another car in time before my current one breaks down.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily a very understanding man at the post office taxed it with the old document and then filled out a V62 for me and sent it all off. So now I'm legally on the roads and the V5C that my friend receives will be invalid and there's one in the post for me. Madness. Next time I'll be sure to use my crystal ball to make sure I get another car in time before my current one breaks down.
    Nice one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If am buying a car from a garage can they tax the car for me in my name please???
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jordyy93)
    If am buying a car from a garage can they tax the car for me in my name please???
    They generally do, and then have you pay them.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate 👍

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.