Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In August I underwent bowel surgery due to complicated appendicitis. I then had a second surgery due a large abscess that had formed underneath the scar.
    I was told before I chose to go under general anaesthetic by the surgeon that it may leave an untidy scar at the end of my original scar, but that it would be possible to clear that up with a bit of plastic surgery they could "sort out" for me. I didn't realise that an untidy scar would mean a dent in my stomach with a bulge above it.
    I'm really paranoid about it because the scar along the dent feels really thin and like it could split. I never wear crop tops or bikinis and I recently bailed on a spa trip because I felt too embarrassed.
    I just had a second follow up and I was told nothing could be done for my scar on the NHS. I am absolutely gutted, I was sure they would be able to do something as they previously said, but I cannot afford to pay for it privately and the thought of having to just live it with makes me cry.
    I don't know where to go from here. Do I go to my GP and talk to them? Or am I really stuck with it forever? I'm sure to some this may seem trivial but for me it's reduced my confidence to zero
    Thanks for any advice given.

ReputationRep:
    I would go talk to your GP. My mum had breast cancer and suffered really low self esteem because of losing her hair and the GP recommended a counsellor to her. Your GP may be able to do the same about your scar, or they may be able to even recommend some creams/ointment which could reduce the appearance of it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    In August I underwent bowel surgery due to complicated appendicitis. I then had a second surgery due a large abscess that had formed underneath the scar.
    I was told before I chose to go under general anaesthetic by the surgeon that it may leave an untidy scar at the end of my original scar, but that it would be possible to clear that up with a bit of plastic surgery they could "sort out" for me. I didn't realise that an untidy scar would mean a dent in my stomach with a bulge above it.
    I'm really paranoid about it because the scar along the dent feels really thin and like it could split. I never wear crop tops or bikinis and I recently bailed on a spa trip because I felt too embarrassed.
    I just had a second follow up and I was told nothing could be done for my scar on the NHS. I am absolutely gutted, I was sure they would be able to do something as they previously said, but I cannot afford to pay for it privately and the thought of having to just live it with makes me cry.
    I don't know where to go from here. Do I go to my GP and talk to them? Or am I really stuck with it forever? I'm sure to some this may seem trivial but for me it's reduced my confidence to zero
    Thanks for any advice given.
    Hey I recently had surgery too and although my scars are tiny im still really bummed about them. I totally understand why it has you so down!
    First off, your scar will not split, just wanted to be sure you weren't worried about that. Yeah they can to start with when they are still healing, but once they are healed it would be like any other part of you randomly spliiting open.

I'd check with your GP to see what your options are. There are some things that can help with scars that may help yours a little. Noting other than cosmetic surgery would get rid of the dipping/ bulge though (as fa as i'm aware). You might feel better about it over time so be sure to think it all through. If you can't afford the surgery and really want it you could always try fund raising. I doubt it's the sort of cost a bake sale would cover, but I keep seeing stories about that sort of thing with sites like go fund me.

ReputationRep:
    Totally know the feeling... I have a nasty one on my leg from ankle surgery! I've always applied Aloe Vera lotion and it really takes away the colour and makes it blend in with the rest of my skin. I was so embarrassed at first but now I'm past caring as I know it's always going to be there and I cannot do anything

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.