Turn on thread page Beta

Travel and tourism project watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi my name is Deqa. I am doing a travel and tourism project and was wondering if you can answer some questions for me.

Would you visit a destination after a terrorist attack. If so is this because the dark side of tourism appeals to you. For example you may be interested in visiting places such as where the 9/11 happened.

How long would you wait to visit a destination after a terrorist attack has occurred?

If you were on holiday and a terrorist attack took place, Would you spend less money? For example you may not go to certain attractions.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Deqa)
    Hi my name is Deqa. I am doing a travel and tourism project and was wondering if you can answer some questions for me.

Would you visit a destination after a terrorist attack. If so is this because the dark side of tourism appeals to you. For example you may be interested in visiting places such as where the 9/11 happened.

How long would you wait to visit a destination after a terrorist attack has occurred?
    Those two questions, for me, are interlinked. No, if a terrorist attack has happened within the last 4-6 weeks, I would not go and visit that place on holiday. To be honest, to go visit a city in places like Turkey or Egypt, I'd wait a whole year before considering going there on holiday.

If you were on holiday and a terrorist attack took place, Would you spend less money? For example you may not go to certain attractions.
    If a terrorist attack took place in the resort/city I was staying in, I would get on the first plane out of there :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid your first question is too general... It really depends on the destination.
    There were terrorist attacks in NYC, Paris, Madrid, Moscow etc., but I would not mind going to these places immediately after the attacks because these types of attacks can happen in many 'Western' countries and the probability of two subsequent attacks in the same place is rather low.
    However, I'm not too fond of going to places where terrorist attacks happen more often, such as Kabul, Bagdad, Mogadishu, etc.

The dark side of tourism does not particularly appeal to me, although I have been to the 9/11 memorial center.

Concerning your last question, I would probably still go to attractions that are outside of bigger cities, because attacks mostly happen in big cities and not at tourist attractions in smaller towns or in the countryside.

Maybe my answers sound like I am willing to take big risks, but I have been to so-called 'dangerous' places before (e.g. Mexico City and even San Salvador - the third most dangerous city in the world in terms of murder rate) and felt very very safe, even when walking in the streets alone at night. I think that often we tend to overrate the danger. Except for true war zones of course, from which I would also stay away. But even in this case, we tend to make generalizations. For example, many people think that the entire Middle East is dangerous right now, even though many countries are super safe (Jordan, Oman, Iran, Lebanon, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, etc).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.