Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni, What happens if I don't do these presentations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I didn't get a group sorted/didn't reply to my other groups messages. One is tomorrow and the other is sometime this week, anyway the presentations are only worth 30% and 20% in each module and i've worked out that I can easily pass even if they gave me a 0.

But is it that straight forward? Could I still fail the year for failing to complete all the work?

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me. Go to your personal tutor and explain your situation. You best have an excuse ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    Happened to me. Go to your personal tutor and explain your situation. You best have an excuse ready.
    Apart from anxiety of standing infront of the whole class I don't really have one, so assuming they don't kick me out lol - what will happen? I get a 0 and make it up in the other modules?

e2a: I got like 85% & 67% in the other modules of these 2 subjects and I think they were worth like 30/40% each so it's not like I need a mirical to pass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasonM)
    Apart from anxiety of standing infront of the whole class I don't really have one, so assuming they don't kick me out lol - what will happen? I get a 0 and make it up in the other modules?

e2a: I got like 85% & 67% in the other modules of these 2 subjects and I think they were worth like 30/40% each so it's not like I need a mirical to pass
    you may fail the unit for non submission if you don't at least turn up on the presentation day.

Write out a speech before hand then read it in front of the class. That's the easiest way to do a presentation!

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I didn't get a group sorted/didn't reply to my other groups messages. One is tomorrow and the other is sometime this week, anyway the presentations are only worth 30% and 20% in each module and i've worked out that I can easily pass even if they gave me a 0.

But is it that straight forward? Could I still fail the year for failing to complete all the work?
    Maybe it's time to reply to those messages and apologise and ask if there's anything left to cover? If you help out your group mates, they'll help you out too.

Your next step would be talking to your personal tutor. Is there any particular reason you didn't reply? If it's pure laziness, then maybe you shouldn't be on the course to start with, in which case is it such a biggie if they did decide to kick you off?

If you don't take part, different universities will have different ways of dealing with the absence. My course will just give you zero marks because you didn't appear, and might chase you up on the absence but won't really punish you otherwise. Personally I think people should be treated much more harshly but it's such a small course that if they did that it would be too small to run!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Maybe it's time to reply to those messages and apologise and ask if there's anything left to cover? If you help out your group mates, they'll help you out too.

Your next step would be talking to your personal tutor. Is there any particular reason you didn't reply? If it's pure laziness, then maybe you shouldn't be on the course to start with, in which case is it such a biggie if they did decide to kick you off?

If you don't take part, different universities will have different ways of dealing with the absence. My course will just give you zero marks because you didn't appear, and might chase you up on the absence but won't really punish you otherwise. Personally I think people should be treated much more harshly but it's such a small course that if they did that it would be too small to run!
    Ok i've found 4 other people who havn't got a group either so we formed one and all thats gonna be sorted tonight. I've messaged the people from my fixed group asking what happened with the work and if there's anything I can do - if I don't get a reply within the next 1-2 hrs i'm going to go and see the personal tutors and ask if I can do it by myself or something.

ReputationRep:

Some universities require an average of a pass for coursework and an average of a pass for exams to pass a module. It's not as simple as just getting 40% average for each module. You'll need to check your course handbook to see exactly what the requirements are for passing.

However, by not turning up/getting 0, you'd be putting a lot of pressure on your coursework/exams. What if you were ill or just had a bad day on one of the exams? Surely it's better to try and do something to give yourself the best overall chances of passing?

Also, if you get a reputation for not turning up/not pulling your weight in group work, you may find tutors less sympathetic if you have problems in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Some universities require an average of a pass for coursework and an average of a pass for exams to pass a module. It's not as simple as just getting 40% average for each module. You'll need to check your course handbook to see exactly what the requirements are for passing.

However, by not turning up/getting 0, you'd be putting a lot of pressure on your coursework/exams. What if you were ill or just had a bad day on one of the exams? Surely it's better to try and do something to give yourself the best overall chances of passing?

Also, if you get a reputation for not turning up/not pulling your weight in group work, you may find tutors less sympathetic if you have problems in the future.
    Yeh I just checked and I have to pass each test at 40%+ to pass the year, anyway I also found out my fixed group presentation isn't due until the 9th of March so I have time to sort that out and I should be able to put somet together with my new group by tomorrow. Phew.. But lesson learnt for the future..

ReputationRep:
    Apart from anxiety of standing infront of the whole class I don't really have one
    Everyone gets nervous before presenting in front of an audience. The way to get better at it is practice. You can't go through life not showing up for the bits you don't like.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I just checked and I have to pass each test at 40%+ to pass the year, anyway I also found out my fixed group presentation isn't due until the 9th of March so I have time to sort that out and I should be able to put somet together with my new group by tomorrow. Phew.. But lesson learnt for the future..
    Fingers crossed you can sort something out for both presentations. First year is partly for learning/making mistakes, so don't worry about it too much- hopefully you'll tackle these things in a different way in the future.

A lot of people hate doing presentations and public speaking, and if your audience is mostly other students they'll usually be really sympathetic and not ask difficult questions or anything like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.