The Student Room Group

Sports Management degree = no career in this field.

Graduated a while ago with a 2.1 in sports management, but since graduating I have not managed to use my degree for anything. This is largely because I can't decide on what career to go into or maybe the choice of degree subject was not right for me.

Is any else in this position and how did resolve this problem of not been able to decide ?

What careers would be appropriate for a sports management degree ?

What is the best way to decide what career to use a degree for?
How long since you graduated? What have you done work-wise since then?
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
How long since you graduated? What have you done work-wise since then?

I graduated in 2011 but cause of the state of the graduate job market back then and my ability not able to decide, I decided to carry on with my current work.

I currently work in a distribution centres as a general assistant but also act as a team leader running one part of our daily operation. Also assist in the office.
The principles you learned in your degree will be applicable for any area of management - so you're not limited to the world of sport. Have you considered applying for management jobs at your current company? It's been a few years since you graduated so you probably don't have access to your university's career service any more or have a network of contacts you can approach. You can apply for graduate schemes but you'll be up against recent graduates. You can use your work/team-leading experience to your benefit. Good luck whatever you end up doing.
Reply 4
The principles you learned in your degree will be applicable for any area of management - so you're not limited to the world of sport. Have you considered applying for management jobs at your current company? It's been a few years since you graduated so you probably don't have access to your university's career service any more or have a network of contacts you can approach. You can apply for graduate schemes but you'll be up against recent graduates. You can use your work/team-leading experience to your benefit. Good luck whatever you end up doing.

Well, one of my idea is to try and link my current work to my degree and see if I can come up with something. For example, Sports retail distribution centre, Sports operation.

Regarding my work there is a talk about me taking on more and more responsibility.

I think my aim is not letting my degree go to waste if I don't use it.
Original post by IBL0010
I think my aim is not letting my degree go to waste if I don't use it.

Plenty of people work in fields unrelated to their degree - me included. Beyond the transferrable skills it gave me its purpose was to get my foot in the door and tick the 'graduate' checkbox. I certainly don't feel as though my degree has 'gone to waste'.
Reply 6
Plenty of people work in fields unrelated to their degree - me included. Beyond the transferrable skills it gave me its purpose was to get my foot in the door and tick the 'graduate' checkbox. I certainly don't feel as though my degree has 'gone to waste'.

What subject did you graduate in and what do you work as if you don't mind me asking.
My first degree was aeronautical engineering and after that I joined the army (didn't use any knowledge from my degree there). I now work in risk management in the oil and gas industry where my degree gives me some credibility even though I'm not using any of the technical side of it.
How surprising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending