Turn on thread page Beta

Help for applying for Medicine in Europe because I don't think I have the grades watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have heard that studying medicine in Europe is an alternative if it is unlikely to get a place here. I did some digging through student room and a lot of them go through agencies because it is easier and tuition fees etc are covered. Is this all true because there is sometimes conflict on the other threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daliah123)
    Hi,

I have heard that studying medicine in Europe is an alternative if it is unlikely to get a place here. I did some digging through student room and a lot of them go through agencies because it is easier and tuition fees etc are covered. Is this all true because there is sometimes conflict on the other threads.
    Some questions to answer before you think about foreign schools:

-What are your grades?
    -Why can't you resit?
    -Why can't you do an access course?
    -Why can't you consider doing another degree and then entering onto a graduate-entry course?

If you can't do any of these, foreign study is a plausible option -- but you need to be aware of the challenges (esp. language) and also the risk (that the Foundation programme may, at some point in the future, restrict foreign applications due to oversubscription). It's not a certainty, but certainly a risk.

ReputationRep:
    european medical schools also have grade entry requirements. Both uk and europe normally require you to sit an entrance exam, so whether you get in too depends on this.

Uk has foundation medicine programmes, they are 6 year programmes and are aimed at people who wish to be doctors that don't have grades, look into that.

In europe you also have to self fund, if you can afford that then fine, but otherwise, why can't you resit you alevels? You don't have the grades? then resit and work extra hard to get the grades, you can't possibly say you can't work hard to get the grades you need because you're simply not capable!! You should work at it, and think of it this way. Medicine is an incredibly intensive course, if you don't think you can achieve A's in your alevels with an additional year to study, perhaps medicine will be too difficult since you're already struggling with levels of workloads lower than medical school.

Sorry I'm not trying to be rude or harsh on you, but you don't want to start a course, pay lots of tuition and a year or two later discover that the worklaod is too much, because you'd have wasted lots of time and money when its possible to avoid. Believe me though, the content in medicine isn't overly "difficult" but the quantity of information you're required to learn can be overwhelming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.