Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stuck on firm/insurance choice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm so stuck on what to put down as my insurance and firm choice, and was wondering if anyone could have any input? I'm studying Marketing btw..
    I'm predicted BCC as A level and can either go for Bournemouth (conditional to AAB) for firm and Winchester BCC/Portsmouth BBC for insurance and be optimistic.
    Or go for Winchester BCC/Portsmouth BBC for firm and Anglia Ruskin (unconditional) for insurance.

Basically, do I play it safe or be optimistic?

Also I'm having trouble deciding between Portsmouth or Winchester, can anyone help with this?

Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexjr4)
    I'm so stuck on what to put down as my insurance and firm choice, and was wondering if anyone could have any input? I'm studying Marketing btw..
    I'm predicted BCC as A level and can either go for Bournemouth (conditional to AAB) for firm and Winchester BCC/Portsmouth BBC for insurance and be optimistic.
    Or go for Winchester BCC/Portsmouth BBC for firm and Anglia Ruskin (unconditional) for insurance.

Also I'm having trouble deciding between Portsmouth or Winchester, can anyone help with this?

Thank you!!
    The key question is are you likely to get anywhere near AAB. If that is likely go for the first option. If highly unlikely then go for the second. Ther is a huge gap in these expectations and only you know what you can realistically achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Putting down a firm of AAB with predicted grades of only BCC seems way too risky unless you really want to go there and are prepared to take a gamble. Since you haven't said you have any preference for Bournemouth as a course or as a university, and there isn't much, if anything, to choose between the universities on your list anyway, I'd be inclined to go for Winchester and Portsmouth or Anglia Ruskin for a sense of security.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alexjr4)

Thank you!!
    If you want to go for a risky firm then be sure that you're very happy with your insurance.

Check out their accommodation policies for insurance students
    eg: http://www.port.ac.uk/media/why-port...ion-Policy.pdf
    "If University of Portsmouth is your insurance choice you will not be considered for a place in halls in the first round ofallocation. If you join the university, please contact us as soon as possible to discuss your options and join ourhouse hunting service. You may be able to move into halls after the start of term if places become available, but youshould make your own accommodation arrangements for the start of term"
    http://www.winchester.ac.uk/Studyher...ages/FAQs.aspx
    "You are only eligible to apply for accommodation if you have made Winchester your firm choice. Once results have been issued in August and you know you are coming to Winchester, check our website or contact Student Housing Services to find out what you need to do next.
    If we are not able to offer you a room in University housing, we will provide helpful information and advice about finding accommodation off-campus and have set up Facebook pages and contact lists to keep you in touch with other new students."

You might want to look into the private rented market at each university you're considering as it looks unlikely you'll have a place in university managed accommodation. I know anecdotally Winchester can be a real struggle for continuing students to find affordable rooms and I get the impression from the Anglia Ruskin site that Cambridge is similar (they don't even seem to guarantee rooms for firm students never mind insurance) so could be setting yourself up for a very stressful August/September.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.