Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys

Been answering questions on this forum for yonks, and now i've got some of my own! I'm interviewing for a job at Lincoln Hospital tomorrow and need a bit more info about exactly what kind of teaching is provided there for the med students.

My understanding from the curriculums i've looked at and job description is that the teaching fellows there deliver teaching to 3rd-5th years from both Notts and Leicester, and do so in lecture + seminar format, some clinical skills stuff and bedside teaching. Obviously that's quite general though and i can't find info about some specifics.

My questions:

1. How long are students based at Lincoln for at a time? Do you have on site accommodation and are there for months, or do you hop back and forth between trusts in short intervals?

2. Do they have a Sim-Man at Lincoln and delivered teaching with it?

3. Do you have a buddy system where students have a direct link to a junior on the wards who can help them out with assessments/logbooks etc?

4. It seems like both schools have a kind of "Preparing for F1" type module in final year. Have you sat finals by this point? Is it comprehensive enough as a module do you think?

5. Do you get much junior doctor (F1-SHO) led teaching, particularly focussing on the little day to day jobs of a junior (Kardexes, fluids, insulin, death certificates, confirmation of death etc)?

6. Do you get any simulated on call teaching at Lincoln in 5th year? Eg. you have multiple stations set up with various jobs, and you have a bleep which goes off and gives you fresh jobs which you have to prioritise and carry out.

BONUS QUESTION! 7. If anyone also has time to just give a brief summary of what an average week of teaching at Lincoln would be like for say a 3rd year and a final year from Notts and Leics that'd be REALLY helpful.

As a non Notts/Leic graduate it's surprisingly difficult to find out some of this information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Hey Guys

Been answering questions on this forum for yonks, and now i've got some of my own! I'm interviewing for a job at Lincoln Hospital tomorrow and need a bit more info about exactly what kind of teaching is provided there for the med students.

My understanding from the curriculums i've looked at and job description is that the teaching fellows there deliver teaching to 3rd-5th years from both Notts and Leicester, and do so in lecture + seminar format, some clinical skills stuff and bedside teaching. Obviously that's quite general though and i can't find info about some specifics.

My questions:

1. How long are students based at Lincoln for at a time? Do you have on site accommodation and are there for months, or do you hop back and forth between trusts in short intervals?

It can be anywhere from 1 month to several. My housemate ended up spending about half of 4th year in Lincoln because he just got unlucky with his longer rotations. 3rd years in Lincoln are there for the whole 16 week block. Accommodation is on site, though from memory some people did end up placed in B&Bs temporarily. Everybody stays over because it is a fair old commute from Nottingham to make more than once in each direction per week.

3. Do you have a buddy system where students have a direct link to a junior on the wards who can help them out with assessments/logbooks etc?

There's a finals orientated teaching/mentoring thing where 5th years are paired up with F1s, but I think it's more for OSCE practice than anything else and not everybody utilises it. Not sure what other local arrangement LCH has.

4. It seems like both schools have a kind of "Preparing for F1" type module in final year. Have you sat finals by this point? Is it comprehensive enough as a module do you think?

5. Do you get much junior doctor (F1-SHO) led teaching, particularly focussing on the little day to day jobs of a junior (Kardexes, fluids, insulin, death certificates, confirmation of death etc)?

To these two- finals are in Feb (finished last Friday I think) and after that there is a preparation for practice course based in Nottingham (all lectures, lots of legal stuff) followed by 6/7 weeks of assistantship before or after electives. There we're embedded in 1 or sometimes 2 teams for the whole time shadowing the most junior doc and learning practical stuff that will be needed in August. Is it enough? Probably. I imagine it's very dependent on where you are and who your mentor is. Can't speak to LCH specifically but I was in a very small hospital on a not very busy team, which did very little to prepare me for Black Wednesday on the surgical take.
    Heya, I never made it out a far as Lincoln (somebody up there likes me) but I've answered the questions I can in bold.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.