Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm new here and this is my first post (cut some slack, please)!

I've applied to go to a uni this year, my student finance application was processed and was accepted, but I have one big problem - as I will be studying full-time and away from home, I'm not sure how I'll be able to pay the hall rent, as I was only given £3741 for my Maintenance Loan. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest apartments cost about £85 /pw, so that means that I will not even be able to live through a year at uni, plus I'll be living very far away from home (about 5 hrs. by train to Lancaster University from my location).

To give some background information - I live in a big family, which consists of four younger brothers. My father earns about £50K /pa. which sounds like a lot, but you have to understand that this salary does not provide that much if you split it up in a big family. Because of this, my maintenance loan amount that I was able to borrow decreased and my family is in a big debt, so my parents cannot help me out with my university finance.

If you know of any part-time jobs that might get me through this, or any other suggestions, or whatever, please tell! I'm in a lot of trouble right now and need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdynick)
    Hi,

I've applied to go to a uni this year, my student finance application was processed and was accepted, but I have one big problem - as I will be studying full-time and away from home, I'm not sure how I'll be able to pay the hall rent, as I was only given £3741 for my Maintenance Loan. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest apartments cost about £85 /pw, so that means that I will not even be able to live through a year at uni, plus I'll be living very far away from home (about 5 hrs. by train to Lancaster University from my location).

To give some background information - I live in a big family, which consists of four younger brothers. My father earns about £50K /pa. which sounds like a lot, but you have to understand that this salary does not provide that much if you split it up in a big family. Because of this, my maintenance loan amount that I was able to borrow decreased and my family is in a big debt, so my parents cannot help me out with my university finance.

If you know of any part-time jobs that might get me through this, or any other suggestions, or whatever, please tell! I'm in a lot of trouble right now and need all the help I can get.

Thanks a lot!!!!
    hopefully some who knowns more about the subject will be here to help you
    all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance loans are almost never enough to pay the bills and rent. The cheapest halls at my uni are around £130 per week and lots of people are struggling. A part time job will definitely help - start saving up now and work loads over the summer.

Also make sure you budget wisely at uni - calculate how much you will spend per week and do not go over that limit. For example, if you say you'll keep aside £50 a week for going out, clubs etc, keep to it. Once you hit £50, stop spending.

You'll have to be smart with your money and shop thriftily; own brands from supermarkets over branded items, make use of coupons and special offers etc. It can be done, just be cautious and sensible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Maintenance loans are almost never enough to pay the bills and rent. The cheapest halls at my uni are around £130 per week and lots of people are struggling. A part time job will definitely help - start saving up now and work loads over the summer.

Also make sure you budget wisely at uni - calculate how much you will spend per week and do not go over that limit. For example, if you say you'll keep aside £50 a week for going out, clubs etc, keep to it. Once you hit £50, stop spending.

You'll have to be smart with your money and shop thriftily; own brands from supermarkets over branded items, make use of coupons and special offers etc. It can be done, just be cautious and sensible!
    Thanks for your quick reply!

I hope it'll work out, because no way am I getting any help from my parents :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    Hi any advice will be helpful

My daughter is starting her application for uni and also maintenance loan. I support her but i work away alot and dont have a fixed address so cant provide a council tax bill.

Is this going to be a problem. I can provide all the other info i.e ns number and ifo from my tax return

ReputationRep:
    P.S. If anybody knows of any planning apps or such, it would be very helpful if you shared them here. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdynick)
    Hi,

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Many shops, cafes, restaurants and bars take on 16+ year olds- if its a big chain e.g. Asda then they can quite often arrange for transfers between stores near uni & home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.