Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I am currently studying the LLB at a Scottish uni and want to convert to English law when I graduate. I've checked other forums and most people agree that at this point it is probably easier to do my GDL conversion course first and then the diploma-equivalent in England rather than the Diploma in Scotland first. However, I've been considering Masters courses in England, and was wondering if I would still have to take the GDL if I had say an LLB(Hons) from a Scottish Uni and then an LLM from an English one? Thanks so much!

    Yes. You need a qualifying law degree in England to continue down that particular path. An LLM would not suffice

    I don't know what you mean by "diploma-equivalent".

    As I understand it, with a Scots LLB or any other Bachelor's degree you will be eligible to do the GDL in England. Then you will be eligible for the LPC or BPTC after that.

    During the GDL you may be able be "exempted" from certain subjects which you have already studied as part of your Scots LLB (for example EU law will be identical). This may i) reduce the cost of the GDL and/or ii) free up your time during the GDL year which can be put towards applying for the next stages. Good things.

    Scots LLB -> GDL in Eng/Wales -> LPC or BPTC -> training contract or pupillage -> lawyer
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.