Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i have recently been accepted for my job application at Sainsburys for the checkout department, after having the interview i have been given the job. I have my induction days coming up, which last for 2 days. Just wondering about what i should be expecting for the induction day, i understand it will involve health and safety videos and talks as well as how to run the till. Im curious in what the job may entail. It would be greatly appreciated if someone with experience can tell me a few tips about the job and what it involves.

Thanks in advance, if what i am asking for is unclear then please do reply so i can reiterate.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately inductions tens to be fairly boring. It's all paperwork and training to make sure you're ready to start. One note, make sure you take your right to work with you (eg. British passport). If you take a birth certificate it has to be the full one and accompanied by your NI card.

Checkouts is fairly self explanatory. The majority of the time you will be serving customers on the checkouts. You may also be trained on self scan and the kiosk (for cigarettes) depending on your age. You may also be required to do things like put backs and possibly trolleys on the car park.

ReputationRep:
    I had three other people with me at my first induction, so if you do have people with you try and talk to them, they'll be a bit nervous like you so it will make you all feel at ease if you get to know each other. Yes the inductions are boring but make sure you listen to all the DVDs because it is useful, and hey you are being paid to! My checkout training was very brief however you learn on the job mostly. I'd advise that you make sure you understand how to process gift cards, understand nectar cards and how to process cash back. You will learn where things are on the till eventually. It probably took me about a month to fully understand everything. Don't be afraid to ask people for help, and try to ask questions during your training. I worked on the checkouts for two years during sixth form and now I've been at a sainsburys local for half a year since I've been at uni. If you have any questions about the till or anything to do with sainsburys don't hesitate to message me :-) good luck with your new job!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.