Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://3b0a7b1bc87f5381e60f8f717510...%20Edexcel.pdf

for 6c)of this question,how do you work out k? Please give simple explanation only as it will confuse me even more. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Try to provide what you have attempted. There is a weight where the string at b is under zero tension. This is the maximum value of k. Any k lower than this will mean that both strings are taking some weight rather than the rod pivoting about c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    Try to provide what you have attempted. There is a weight where the string at b is under zero tension. This is the maximum value of k. Any k lower than this will mean that both strings are taking some weight rather than the rod pivoting about c.
    HI, this is what I did. Please could you show me a diagram for the explanation? Thanks.Name:  1456831198549-1268971868.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  376.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  112.9 KB
    Your diagram is fine although I would have neglected using 'N' in the labels as I think that the N confuses things as it looks like a variable.

My calculation is different though \frac{2}{3}W=2R_b + kW \;\;\Rightarrow\;\; T=\frac{W}{2}\left(\frac{2}{3}-k \right) You have put kW i the wrong direction (as you are equating CW and ACW moments, the moment at D is CW).

Once you have done this we can see that R_b is zero when
    k=\frac{2}{3}
    Attached Images

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.