Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello!

1) can you tell me please how much you get first salary as in-house lawyer in major companies? also, do you need to have completed a training contract first or they will train you inhouse?

2) I am not native speaker, my english is good, but I don't have such wide vocabulary, do I have a chance?

3) is there a list with the major firms and their specialization?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you have an incredibly small chance of achieving the above.

You will be against native speaking candidates with at least equal, if not better, qualifications and extra curriculars.

Oh, and the majority of companies do not provide training contracts. You would likely need to obtain a TC in PP and then move in-house at a later stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    How do you know my quals and extra curriculars? You are an idiot obviously.
    I didn't intend to annoy you, t'was just pointing out the obvious challenges.

Oh, and there are numerous pointers in your original post that would suggest that you do not have top academics (too uninterested to list them).

Best of luck with your career.

ReputationRep:
    don't take law - it's a horrible subject. I took it and dropped out. don't live for money, live for happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    don't take law - it's a horrible subject. I took it and dropped out. don't live for money, live for happiness
    There are plenty of people who do enjoy academic law. Just because you didn't enjoy it doesn't mean it's a horrible subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    There are plenty of people who do enjoy academic law. Just because you didn't enjoy it doesn't mean it's a horrible subject.
    how many people do you really think will enjoy a dry subject like law in our society? what is its appeal? there really isn't much universal appeal with a subject like law, I would know - I gave it every possible chance and it was tedious, uninspiring and very robotic
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How do you know my quals and extra curriculars? You are an idiot obviously.
    I had just typed out the answers to your questions, when I saw how rude you were being....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I had just typed out the answers to your questions, when I saw how rude you were being....
    Another idiot....
    Why are you saying this? To cry? I couldn't care less lol
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Another idiot....
    Because you asked for assistance with information, but then went about being needlessly rude to people, which is rather a dumb way of trying to get people to help you.

ReputationRep:
    hello!

1) can you tell me please how much you get first salary as in-house lawyer in major companies? also, do you need to have completed a training contract first or they will train you inhouse?

2) I am not native speaker, my english is good, but I don't have such wide vocabulary, do I have a chance?

thanks!
    http://www.metrolyrics.com/f-tha-police-lyrics-nwa.html
    Always know the banter lords are watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because you asked for assistance with information, but then went about being needlessly rude to people, which is rather a dumb way of trying to get people to help you.
    I want sensible answer not ignorant bullsht. Any sensible would approve me insulting someone who says I don't have good quals without having a clue.

ReputationRep:
    hello!

thanks!
    1) The question is too broad. The 'first salary' will depend on the company itself, the seniority of the role you have in the company, the location of the company (e.g. London) and the type of work that you'll be doing.

2) Of course you have a chance, however your chance will be lowered by the fact that you are not a native speaker of English. Put it this way: if you are prospective employer A, why would you hire somebody with 'poor' (in the context of legal work) English skills when you can very easily employ somebody with natural English skills? - Unless you can bring your English skills up to par with everybody else then you'll be at a significant disadvantage when looking for a TC.

3) Yes. Look at the Chambers and Partners website.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks jasy!
    Really encouraging that there are helpful people here unlike some others that abuse like j-sp and think they are the only that know to help
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks jasy!
    Really encouraging that there are helpful people here unlike some others that abuse like j-sp and think they are the only that know to help
    You were the one abusing thats why your posts were deleted. You overreacted to someone who raised a legitimate point and then proceeded to offer out uncalled for rudeness to others.

1. In proportion to those in PP then the proportion of companies offering a TC in house is low. the salary will be on par with other graduates. Many of them are taken in advance by people already working there. Salaries for NQ lawyers in house are normally much lower than PP, but the hours are much better.
    2. If you have other languages, then they can be an advantage, but if you want to be an English lawyer, then you will be competing against other native speakers. Everyone has a chance, but i'd have reservations about your attitude and overreaction. Being rude to people and losing your temper is not a good way to get people to help you.
    3. Law is very competitive. You need to make sure you have the right to work in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    No I asked J-SP what's his background and he said I am troll, what kind of ridiculous person's reaction can that be?
    I am defending here, not attacking

ReputationRep:
    how many people do you really think will enjoy a dry subject like law in our society? what is its appeal? there really isn't much universal appeal with a subject like law, I would know - I gave it every possible chance and it was tedious, uninspiring and very robotic
    What is the appeal of English Lit? What is the appeal of history? Some things simply speak to some people and things simply do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    What is the appeal of English Lit? What is the appeal of history? Some things simply speak to some people and things simply do not.
    it's called a perspective - I did law and I didn't like it. obviously there will be *some* that disagree with my opinion. I am simply giving it. at least I understand the appeal of english lit and history - with law, it's literally like remembering numbers for a living. there is *some* analogue but mostly it's just "remember that law" or "remember that term". with history you can develop your own view with a huge amount of respectable leeway, and with english literature it's likely to be the same deal. with law, it is static and black and white. but it's not an interesting kind of black and white study - it's literally just "remember these laws". if you're interested in laws, written in deliberately difficult language to read/interpret ($), then it's right up your alley, but not mine. most people I know who study it (I live with 3 law students) just do it because they think they'll get a lot of money. money isn't something inherently interesting though.

ReputationRep:
    No I asked J-SP what's his background and he said I am troll, what kind of ridiculous person's reaction can that be?
    I am defending here, not attacking
    I said that because your private messages were pretty annoying. I gave you some direction and then you asked me to basically do all your research for you. When I refused you just started to harass me for information about me which you don't need.

You have an attitude problem and your lack of ability to even do some basic research suggests you have little chance of actually succeeding. I don't think you are really motivated, despite stating yourself as an ambitious individual. If you truly were you wouldn't have to ask me or others for what is basic information easily found via a quick Google search.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Another idiot....
    This just sums up your attitude. I actually have the knowledge and experience I was willing to share, but you are just ridiculously rude. People will spot it a mile off if you ever get to interview. Perhaps its your English that means you fail to realise this. Many people will not ive you a second chance.

ReputationRep:
    it's called a perspective - I did law and I didn't like it. obviously there will be *some* that disagree with my opinion. I am simply giving it. at least I understand the appeal of english lit and history - with law, it's literally like remembering numbers for a living. there is *some* analogue but mostly it's just "remember that law" or "remember that term". with history you can develop your own view with a huge amount of respectable leeway, and with english literature it's likely to be the same deal. with law, it is static and black and white. but it's not an interesting kind of black and white study - it's literally just "remember these laws". if you're interested in laws, written in deliberately difficult language to read/interpret ($), then it's right up your alley, but not mine. most people I know who study it (I live with 3 law students) just do it because they think they'll get a lot of money. money isn't something inherently interesting though.
    I by no means wish to argue that you should enjoy law. You didn't like that and I accept it. My issue is your telling people not to study law just because you didn't enjoy it. There are many people who drop out of English Lit, but would it be reasonable to tell English Lit applicants to take another route? Not exactly. That is because individual experience is not objective. Some people do enjoy law and the technical legal discussion associated with it, which they most definitely can engage with. Although there are many people would much rather watch paint dry, and these are the dropouts.

I also take umbrage with the idea that there is a dichotomy of happiness vs money with law students. Many law students go into the subject in order to be able to make a difference to their community and society; law students are not necessarily a bunch of money-orientatied automatons, notwithstanding the large group who obviously are.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.