Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    I by no means wish to argue that you should enjoy law. You didn't like that and I accept it. My issue is your telling people not to study law just because you didn't enjoy it. There are many people who drop out of English Lit, but would it be reasonable to tell English Lit applicants to take another route? Not exactly. That is because individual experience is not objective. Some people do enjoy law and the technical legal discussion associated with it, which they most definitely can engage with. Although there are many people would much rather watch paint dry, and these are the dropouts.

I also take umbrage with the idea that there is a dichotomy of happiness vs money with law students. Many law students go into the subject in order to be able to make a difference to their community and society; law students are not necessarily a bunch of money-orientatied automatons, notwithstanding the large group who obviously are.
    1) why are you accusing me of being objective when I actually told you that there would be people who'd disagree with my "perspective"?
    2) most law students go into law for the money. all of my law student friends were all united by that. they all loathe reading and studying for their coursework and exams. if I were the employer at a law firm who heard an applicant claim "they enjoy law" I'd have a hard time not giving them a look of disbelief, or a snigger. yes, this is their opinion but it was *all* of their opinions. they do it for the prestige and money. there's really nothing fun or interesting about law when you really get down to it, unless you can prove me wrong? if you think that the manner in which the laws are created is interestin g, that's not "law". that's politics. if you think that the ways in which laws are understood is interesting, then that's just incredibly questionable in my opinion because it isn't deep or interesting in the slightest. if you're interested in the *history* of law, then you won't be looking at much of that doing law. if anything that's for history or politics (again). law in literally just the dirty work of politics. it's the boring residue of the result of what are usually interesting debates which lawyers probably won't know about, seeing as they don't benefit from it. there *will* be some relative components when language of law is vague (because it's *deliberately* poorly written because the practice of law is nothing but a bunch of people feathering their nests) but honestly that sort of stuff simply comes down to "did they mean reasonable to mean x situation or y situation" - how is *that* something that one dedicates their life to and thinks *nothing* about the money? educate and enlighten me because I'm wishing to understand
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

I also take umbrage with the idea that there is a dichotomy of happiness vs money with law students. Many law students go into the subject in order to be able to make a difference to their community and society; law students are not necessarily a bunch of money-orientatied automatons, notwithstanding the large group who obviously are.
    In my experience many students start off as being idealistic, but by the 2nd and 3rd years they are looking to make a living. Criminal law and human rights are all well and good, but they hardly pay the bills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    In my experience many students start off as being idealistic, but by the 2nd and 3rd years they are looking to make a living. Criminal law and human rights are all well and good, but they hardly pay the bills.
    Yet there are still criminal and HR lawyers. Do they happen to fall out of the sky? There are still many 2nd and 3rd years who stick to their principles, and there are many people who take the money route but they do because they actually enjoy contract and commercial law, not simply because the have a pining for lots of cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    if I were the employer at a law firm who heard an applicant claim "they enjoy law" I'd have a hard time not giving them a look of disbelief, or a snigger.
    It is curious you speak with the experience of a recruiting partner whilst admitting that you are a dropout. Your conjecture is fascinating to read, but sadly it is not burdened by too much authority.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yet there are still criminal and HR lawyers. Do they happen to fall out of the sky? There are still many 2nd and 3rd years who stick to their principles, and there are many people who take the money route but they do because they actually enjoy contract and commercial law, not simply because the have a pining for lots of cash.
    Think youll find there arent that many of them. I never said there werent some. Practice is a lot different from academia.

ReputationRep:
    It is curious you speak with the experience of a recruiting partner whilst admitting that you are a dropout. Your conjecture is fascinating to read, but sadly it is not burdened by too much authority.
    I'm *obviously* biased against law because I didn't like it. again, I'm not speaking for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Guys would you mind creating a new thread for your debate?

ReputationRep:
    I'm *obviously* biased against law because I didn't like it. again, I'm not speaking for everybody.
    So do you not think it would be best if you started off your vitriolic posts by saying "I didn't like law; it wasn't good for me, and that's why I am upset"? Rather than say that "law is only static, black and white; most of the interesting stuff isn't law anyway but politics"? You were talking a load of tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Think youll find there arent that many of them. I never said there werent some. Practice is a lot different from academia.
    There aren't many criminal lawyers? Oh right, my mistake. Apologies.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, , what is the best site that sums up all the deadlines for open days, vacation schemes, TC etc?

ReputationRep:
    So do you not think it would be best if you started off your vitriolic posts by saying "I didn't like law; it wasn't good for me, and that's why I am upset"? Rather than say that "law is only static, black and white; most of the interesting stuff isn't law anyway but politics"? You were talking a load of tosh.
    ...are you really saying that you don't understand that what I'm saying is opinion-based...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studos)
    By the way, , what is the best site that sums up all the deadlines for open days, vacation schemes, TC etc?
    Might not be the best, but it's probably useful:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/search/all/...law-solicitors

Register your email address with the following sites and you will get email alerts too:

Lawcareers.net
    Allaboutlaw
    Lawyer2b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ...are you really saying that you don't understand that what I'm saying is opinion-based...?
    No, but impressionable young people might mistakenly think that you know what you're talking about. That is my worry here ultimately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Might not be the best, but it's probably useful:

https://targetjobs.co.uk/search/all/...law-solicitors

Register your email address with the following sites and you will get email alerts too:

Lawcareers.net
    Allaboutlaw
    Lawyer2b

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks! I suppose you are better now?

ReputationRep:
    No, but impressionable young people might mistakenly think that you know what you're talking about. That is my worry here ultimately.
    ...but I studied law.

ReputationRep:
    ...but I studied law.
    No, you attended a law course for two weeks and then dropped out because you weren't cut out for it.

ReputationRep:
    No, you attended a law course for two weeks and then dropped out because you weren't cut out for it.
    2 weeks? what the **** are you talking about? :|

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks? what the **** are you talking about? :|
    Am I wrong? Was it 3 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    Am I wrong? Was it 3 weeks?
    *sigh* you're thinking of somebody else - I took it for a whole year and got a 57% overall - but I didn't work very hard, because I found the subject so loathsome and dry, like I explained before. I am in my 2nd year of a different course now (politics) and I'm averaging out at a high 2:1, so it's not a matter of "not making the cut", it's a matter of working only if you actually enjoy something, or at least that's how it goes for me, seeing as I'm not the kind of person who's prepared to be miserable for the sake of money

ReputationRep:
    don't take law - it's a horrible subject. I took it and dropped out. don't live for money, live for happiness
    I mean, Ghoul is a stool but this statement is ridiculous. You took your own experience and generalised it as if it's applicable to everyone.

I personally love, love, love the subject. I didn't even expect to like it that much. So your case was personal and that is absolutely finds but don't deter other people because YOU didn't like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.