Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

*megathread* computer science pre release 2016 predicitons Watch

ReputationRep:
    What is the Training part meant to do...it seems to do nothing different....

ReputationRep:
    i can't get the training game to work??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyissilly)
    i can't get the training game to work??
    Yeah, mine just has a list of boat positions...It loads, plots them and then thats it...Its the same as the normal game but the positions are not random?

ReputationRep:
    So the thing is with the Training Game is that it uses a read and load file which may interlink with a question asking you to save the game in the same way that the Training Game is saved. Obviously the saved game file is loaded the same way as the Training Game file. I have a feeling TrainingGaming.txt is used to show you the layout in which the file is written ie. its written in one long row/record and is split after 10 indexes due to the loop used in the subroutine that sets up the board. This would mean that instead of a row ( -BBBB-----A---------A---------A---------A ) etc in the text file it will load like this:
    Code:
    -BBBB----A
    ---------A
    ---------A
    ---------A
    etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Old Lady)
    So the thing is with the Training Game is that it uses a read and load file which may interlink with a question asking you to save the game in the same way that the Training Game is saved. Obviously the saved game file is loaded the same way as the Training Game file. I have a feeling TrainingGaming.txt is used to show you the layout in which the file is written ie. its written in one long row/record and is split after 10 indexes due to the loop used in the subroutine that sets up the board. This would mean that instead of a row ( -BBBB-----A---------A---------A---------A ) etc in the text file it will load like this:
    Code:
    -BBBB----A
    ---------A
    ---------A
    ---------A
    etc
    Thank you, I have used the load section for the game when I saved it as you have said...That makes sense now...Other than that it basically seems pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWallisjr)
    Thank you, I have used the load section for the game when I saved it as you have said...That makes sense now...Other than that it basically seems pointless.
    Absolute pleasure! (:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the skeleton code changes? It is a skeleton code...So it is like a guide line of the code....Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWallisjr)
    Does anyone know if the skeleton code changes? It is a skeleton code...So it is like a guideline of the code....Right?
    No the skeleton code that was released to students will be the one that is used in the exam. The reason why it is called a "skeleton" program is because YOU change it based on the questions that they will give you tomorrow. You won't suddenly find 5 new functions or whatever appearing in your exam copy tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    No the skeleton code that was released to students will be the one that is used in the exam. The reason why it is called a "skeleton" program is because YOU change it based on the questions that they will give you tomorrow. You won't suddenly find 5 new functions or whatever appearing in your exam copy tomorrow.
    Ok, Thanks

ReputationRep:
    There will definitely be something to do with the validation of the user input (getrowcolumn), currently for me, I'm coding in VB, the ships aren't placed randomly because the randomize function isn't initialised, i'm assuming that this is a common theme throughout all of the pre-releases no matter which language you choose so you will probably be asked to do something with that. Another possibility which I haven't seen anyone post is that currently the game isn't exactly a game as there are no proper limitations, every cell on the grid can be shot at, so it could be likely that they ask us to implement a shot counter as a win condition, e.g. if all ships aren't hit within 25 shots then the game is over or something like that. The training game is there for a reason, probably to make each test the same as the board is randomised otherwise, also file handling will most likely be tested because of this so expect being asked how to save the game to a file in the same format of the training.txt file. Furthermore, a big mark question could be something like a radar scan, after each miss it should check a set radius of cells around the missing cell to see if there are any ships within the vicinity of the missing shot. Just some ideas I've come up with so far, good luck for tommorow everyone

ReputationRep:
    My predictions:
    6 Marker: Definitely Validation of the user input
    10 Marker: Scoring system (either accuracy or maximum moves) or add a new ship or displaying a message telling the user which ships they hit
    14 Marker: Allowing the user to enter there own ships, Saving / Loading game (Possibly using RLE similar to last year) or a radar which if you miss tells you if there is a ship present in the surrounding cells

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swingrx)
    My predictions:
    6 Marker: Definitely Validation of the user input
    10 Marker: Scoring system (either accuracy or maximum moves) or add a new ship or displaying a message telling the user which ships they hit
    14 Marker: Allowing the user to enter there own ships, Saving / Loading game (Possibly using RLE similar to last year) or a radar which if you miss tells you if there is a ship present in the surrounding cells
    Hopefully Save Game....And NOT allowing the user to enter there own ships cause thats the only one i dont know how to do...

ReputationRep:
    So for the torpedo question, I managed it fine, for the inputs the paper told me to test it with it worked fine, but then if I entered 9,9, it threw an index out of bounds error, would I lose marks for that? Or would it be okay since the screengrabs of the inputs it gave were fine?

ReputationRep:
    everything was fine for me, just that dry run question caught me off...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mastermaxtoppen)
    That's the question that threw my class off. And the one question they all didn't want was having to include torpedoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermaxtoppen)
    Yeah same here...Didn't finish the last question either...Ran out of time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.