Turn on thread page Beta

Stuttering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else stutter? I've always stumbled over my words when I'm nervous, but lately I've been properly stuttering and it's pretty embarrassing - kinda makes you want to not talk at all. Are there any good methods to stop or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Does anyone else stutter? I've always stumbled over my words when I'm nervous, but lately I've been properly stuttering and it's pretty embarrassing - kinda makes you want to not talk at all. Are there any good methods to stop or something?
    probably talking slower, and breath between words...

ReputationRep:
    My cousin has had a stutter and has had it for a few years, to make it better she tries to speak slowly when its happening and breath as evenly as possible....I wouldnt worry about it tho, it doesnt bother anyone and its a pretty stupid person that would ever act or treat you differently because of it

ReputationRep:
    I don't stutter myself so can't help - sorry! I was just wondering though - how do you like people to act when you're stuttering? One of my friends has a bit of a stutter an I never know whether to try and guess what he's saying and finish his sentences or what I should be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    I don't stutter myself so can't help - sorry! I was just wondering though - how do you like people to act when you're stuttering? One of my friends has a bit of a stutter an I never know whether to try and guess what he's saying and finish his sentences or what I should be doing.
    i know my cousin hates it if people try to finish her sentences...dont know if it would be the same for everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    yeah i know what you mean, I'm quite impatient - and i know i would definitly finish their sentence when i know what they're on about and know they're gonna take ages to finish. but don't mean to be nasty though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    i know my cousin hates it if people try to finish her sentences...dont know if it would be the same for everyone though.
    ok, thanks. I'll just be patient in the future then. I don't want to make him even more nervous by rushing him!

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind my close friends finishing my sentences, or helping me through the word I'm stuck on if that makes sense? Like if I'm trying to say 'possibly' or something, if they just say the word I can carry on the sentence and then I'm usually okay. It's not such a bad stutter really, I'm just really self-conscious about how I speak for some reason, and that means I tend to stutter sometimes.

Sometimes people laugh though when you're doing it which isn't very nice, but you get over it. They probably just don't understand what it's like/how you feel or whatever.

Talking slower does help, but usually I just start the sentence again. That usually works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, jus read my post. How many times have I used the word 'usually'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    probably talking slower, and breath between words...
    LOL, like stevie in malcolm in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    gareth gates stutters like crazy

ReputationRep:
    I stutter, particularly when I'm excited. i usually just start the sentence again or make a joke about it but it does get really frustrating when I start the sentence over and over and trip over the same bloomin words. Oddly enough, the only time I don't stutter is during public speaking competitions, probably because I've practiced so much and I concentrate soooo much on what I'm saying and how I'm saying it. The rest of the time it's just terrible.

ReputationRep:
    i don't stutter, but did have a lisp when i was younger cos i had a cleft palate. have you ever thought about speech therapy? it worked absalute wonders for me and i never shut up now and my lisp is compeletely unnoticable (althoguh speech therapists always claim they can detect it:rolleyes: )

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i don't stutter, but did have a lisp when i was younger cos i had a cleft palate. have you ever thought about speech therapy? it worked absalute wonders for me and i never shut up now and my lisp is compeletely unnoticable (althoguh speech therapists always claim they can detect it:rolleyes: )

lou xxx
    I used to have speech therapy cos i couldnt say my R's (kind of annoying when my name begins with R as well) I spent my whole time being told to make a 'dring' noise and role my tongue - it did work tho, no idea how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I used to have speech therapy cos i couldnt say my R's (kind of annoying when my name begins with R as well) I spent my whole time being told to make a 'dring' noise and role my tongue - it did work tho, no idea how
    Lol... I've not really thought of getting speech therapy - somehow I doubt it's speech therapy I need! It was horrible yesterday at work, I kept on tripping over words and starting over and my manager was like 'you seem very tired today'. Wish me luck, because I'm going for an induction at Tescos tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    http://www.atyrer.demon.co.uk/stammer/

ReputationRep:
    Can't you get a voice coach or something that "cures" you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.