Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Right, so I was working through a past paper (OCR, non MEI, Jan 08) and I got stuck on question 10. The bit that's causing me the problem is part 2 of the question, where you are asked to find an expression in terms of n for: \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{3r+4}{r(r+1)(  r+1)}.

The only thing that sprung to my mind was to use the method of differences with: \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{2}{r} - \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{1}{(r+1)(r+2)  }. But I couldn't find a pattern.

Am I even on the right tracks because I have no idea what I'm doing?

Zacken, I know you like these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Partial fractions gets you: \displaystyle \frac{3r+1}{r(r+1)(r+2)} = \frac{2}{r} - \frac{1}{r+1} - \frac{1}{(r+2)}.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I was working through a past paper (OCR, non MEI, Jan 08) and I got stuck on question 10. The bit that's causing me the problem is part 2 of the question, where you are asked to find an expression in terms of n for: \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{3r+1}{r(r+1)(  r+1)}.

The only thing that sprung to my mind was to use the method of differences with: \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{2}{r} - \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{1}{(r+1)(r+2)  }. But I couldn't find a pattern.

you split in 3 fractions
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Right, so I was working through a past paper (OCR, non MEI, Jan 08) and I got stuck on question 10. The bit that's causing me the problem is part 2 of the question, where you are asked to find an expression in terms of n for: \displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^{n} \displaystyle\frac{3r+1}{r(r+1)(  r+1)}.

I would suggest partial Fractions and then the methord of differences.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Partial fractions gets you: \displaystyle \frac{3r+1}{r(r+1)(r+2)} = \frac{1}{2r} + \frac{2}{r+1} - \frac{5}{2(r+2)}.
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    you split in 3 fractions
    *******s, made a typo; see the edit

ReputationRep:
    *******s, made a typo; see the edit
    See mine. Your edit it makes it work out much better.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Partial fractions gets you: \displaystyle \frac{3r+1}{r(r+1)(r+2)} = \frac{2}{r} - \frac{1}{r+1} - \frac{1}{(r+2)}.
    See mine. Your edit it makes it work out much better.
    Thanks, so my idea of trying to keep it to two fractions was the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, so my idea of trying to keep it to two fractions was the problem?
    Yup. You should always decompose the fractions. Remember, you want your summation to be of the form f(r) - f(r+k) so that they cancel. This works out if you decompose it into three different fractions.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yup. You should always decompose the fractions. Remember, you want your summation to be of the form f(r) - f(r+k) so that they cancel. This works out if you decompose it into three different fractions.
    Ahhh, that makes more sense, thanks dude. The way my teacher taught it made it sound like we just broke it into two bits

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.