Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone, not sure if this posted in the right area but sorry anyway.

I've been thinking recently about going for a maths degree, i have always liked maths out of all the subjects but i wasn't really bothered at school.
    I got a b in maths, a in ict, d in english,c in science, d in media and done rubbish everything else.

So if i wanted to do a maths degree how would i go about it, would i have to redo my gcses ? i wouldn't mind redoing maths because i haven't done maths since school. Im currently 20, I have a good job but i work shifts,morning,nights and afternoons. I was thinking off getting a tutor and redoing maths to go for a a star,then going for a levels then eventually a degree. but can you do a a levels private? is it worth resisting gcses ?
    please some one point me in the right dirrection, thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephen1720)
    hello everyone, not sure if this posted in the right area but sorry anyway.

I've been thinking recently about going for a maths degree, i have always liked maths out of all the subjects but i wasn't really bothered at school.
    I got a b in maths, a in ict, d in english,c in science, d in media and done rubbish everything else.

So if i wanted to do a maths degree how would i go about it, would i have to redo my gcses ? i wouldn't mind redoing maths because i haven't done maths since school. Im currently 20, I have a good job but i work shifts,morning,nights and afternoons. I was thinking off getting a tutor and redoing maths to go for a a star,then going for a levels then eventually a degree. but can you do a a levels private? is it worth resisting gcses ?
    please some one point me in the right dirrection, thanks so much

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=46

or

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

ReputationRep:
    You need to resit English and some others to get 5A*-C, but can go straight to A-level for maths assuming you have the competency. You can do GCSEs and A-levels privately. Your GCSEs do seem very suspect, but we don't know your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You need to resit English and some others to get 5A*-C, but can go straight to A-level for maths assuming you have the competency. You can do GCSEs and A-levels privately. Your GCSEs do seem very suspect, but we don't know your circumstances.
    so I would need to redo english to even think about a degree ? is it a must? thanks

ReputationRep:
    so I would need to redo english to even think about a degree ? is it a must? thanks
    No. It depends on the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prajna)
    No. It depends on the university.
    so i was to go for an level in maths do well i could go for a degree even with my poor gcses thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unfortunately. I've been through the lists many times without finding any but there may be one or two that don't require it now. You should definitely read through the lists on UCAS. It's more a case of getting lucky with the questions than having any particular skills though.

ReputationRep:
    so i was to go for an level in maths do well i could go for a degree even with my poor gcses thanks
    Depending on the university yes. Though, if you get an A or above in A level Maths I am sure you will find several universities willing to offer you a place.

I would recommend that you check with university admissions offices.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the university yes. Though, if you get an A or above in A level Maths I am sure you will find several universities willing to offer you a place.

I would recommend that you check with university admissions offices.
    thanks so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    I live in birmingham and was looking to still keep my job and do my degree, am i asking for to much lol ?

ReputationRep:
    as above said you need 5 A*-C

have you thought of doing double award or triple award science rather than just science

double award gives you 2 gcses and triple sciences gives you 3 gcses

so you could do;

maths
    double science
    english
    ict (done)

as your five then move onto alevels

ReputationRep:
    Though, if you get an A or above in A level Maths I am sure you will find several universities willing to offer you a place.
    This is probably not going to happen. The English language requirements are controlled by the central admissions for the university so they don't care how many A*s in A-level maths you have, what your STEP grades are or what you get in your other A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    This is probably not going to happen. The English language requirements are controlled by the central admissions for the university so they don't care how many A*s in A-level maths you have, what your STEP grades are or what you get in your other A-levels.
    I understand that. Which is why I advised contacting individual university admissions.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.