The Student Room Group

going back to maths

hello everyone, not sure if this posted in the right area but sorry anyway.

I've been thinking recently about going for a maths degree, i have always liked maths out of all the subjects but i wasn't really bothered at school.I got a b in maths, a in ict, d in english,c in science, d in media and done rubbish everything else.So if i wanted to do a maths degree how would i go about it, would i have to redo my gcses ? i wouldn't mind redoing maths because i haven't done maths since school. Im currently 20, I have a good job but i work shifts,morning,nights and afternoons.

I was thinking off getting a tutor and redoing maths to go for a a star,then going for a levels then eventually a degree. but can you do a a levels private? is it worth resisting gcses ?please some one point me in the right dirrection, thanks so much
Reply 1
You're probably best looking into an access to HE course at your local college its a one year course that gives you access to University. You do not need any A Levels and this is accepted by the majority of Universities.
Original post by stephen1720
hello everyone, not sure if this posted in the right area but sorry anyway.

I've been thinking recently about going for a maths degree, i have always liked maths out of all the subjects but i wasn't really bothered at school.I got a b in maths, a in ict, d in english,c in science, d in media and done rubbish everything else.So if i wanted to do a maths degree how would i go about it, would i have to redo my gcses ? i wouldn't mind redoing maths because i haven't done maths since school. Im currently 20, I have a good job but i work shifts,morning,nights and afternoons.

I was thinking off getting a tutor and redoing maths to go for a a star,then going for a levels then eventually a degree. but can you do a a levels private? is it worth resisting gcses ?please some one point me in the right dirrection, thanks so much

I don't think you need to do GCSEs, I don't have them because of certain circumstances and I got all my offers. If you want to go the A Level route, I would advise you do Further maths and Physics or Chemistry too, and do really well in them.
I was in a slightly similar situation. No A-levels but wanted to change careers and do civil engineering however i only did the basic GCSE paper and got a C grade. I looked up a local college and enrolled on an access course. Initially i struggled with the maths and physics as it was stuff i had never covered before and had been a few years since i had done any maths but now im absolutely fine with it. If you are worried about the difficulty or workload on the course, it really isn't that bad. Best to just go over topics when you go home though even if you are tired as it pays off!

Hope it goes well for you!
You should resit your English GCSE as almost all universities demand a minimum of grade C in maths and English. You may find it helpful to redo maths too, as preparation for the next level, as well as to enhance your application. I wouldn't bother redoing the others though.
An Access course probably won't prepare you well enough for a maths degree: you will need to do A levels or a foundation year. It's quite easy to self-teach maths A level from text books, and using resources on the internet, such as Khan Academy, examsolutions.net and YouTube.
It's worth dropping an email to Admissions tutors at universities in which you might be interested, to get their opinion on how you should proceed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending