Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck between two colleges (Runshaw and Cardinal Newman)
    I am very interested in learning languages and at Cardinal I can start Spanish from scratch which will help because then I will have two languages at a good level. I'm doing (at Runshaw) English combined, French, RS and Sociology. At Cardinal I have chosen English combined, Spanish, French and Sociology.

Personally, I think that Cardinal would be better for me because I will have to do another language after college anyway so why wait? But now my mum is saying I'm not going to Cardinal (she won't let me) can she do this?

If anyone has done fast-track Spanish at Cardinal Newman, please could you message me? I would love to learn more.
    So where should I go? What should I do about my mum saying no? It's my choice and its me who has to do the two years so I don't see why she's doing this..

Thank you!

Bethany
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about Spanish. But as you want to go to Cardinal, go there, its not really up to your mum. Its your decision. However I don't know because if she forces you to go to the other place, do you really have a choice? Try speaking to her. Or just say your going there and she can't stop you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethaboopku)
    I am stuck between two colleges (Runshaw and Cardinal Newman)
    I am very interested in learning languages and at Cardinal I can start Spanish from scratch which will help because then I will have two languages at a good level. I'm doing (at Runshaw) English combined, French, RS and Sociology. At Cardinal I have chosen English combined, Spanish, French and Sociology.

Personally, I think that Cardinal would be better for me because I will have to do another language after college anyway so why wait? But now my mum is saying I'm not going to Cardinal (she won't let me) can she do this?

If anyone has done fast-track Spanish at Cardinal Newman, please could you message me? I would love to learn more.
    So where should I go? What should I do about my mum saying no? It's my choice and its me who has to do the two years so I don't see why she's doing this..

Thank you!

Bethany
    Hi Bethany

I am studying A levels at Runshaw, and I do really like it. It is brilliant for numerous reasons. Go to the open evenings, and see how you feel. I went to the Cardinal open evening, and I did not like the location / teachers / etc. When I went to Runshaw's open evening, I felt more welcomed, and I did prefer it. This is my opinion, of course. I would say go to open evenings, and see which you prefer. Then look at courses. Look at facilities, what the average grades are, talk to the teachers, etc. One of the subjects I study at the moment I chose after attending the open evening. I just stumbled across the room at the open evening, and said 'Oh, why not?" to my dad, and went to speak to the teacher. I am not studying that course, loving it, and on track to get an A. Runshaw also has a brilliant language department. Last week we actually had students who were from Spain, Germany, etc. coming in to our lessons, and we were speaking with them. The language students helped mentor those students with English, and they helped mentor the students with the language they are studying. One of my friends is actually going to be going into a school to give a lesson to younger children in the language he is studying.

In all honesty, English is good dependent of what teacher you get. I have an excellent teacher who is brilliant, but I do know from others that not all classes are as good. But, you can always request specific teachers. Also, make use of the student days they arrange. Like the ones at the start of July. This is a great way to gain perspective into a subject, and decide if it really is for you!

Okay, so I am being quite biased with Runshaw from my own experience, but I do really like it. However, you may find that cardinal is the better option, it's your decision at the end of the day!

I hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.