Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

second personal statement - should i explain why i changed my mind? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone,

im currently holding 3 out of 4 offers for music business but last week i changed my mind and now i want to study media and communication. ive already emailed several universities that i saw on ucas extra are still accepting applications, but theres one in particular that i really want to go to (if everything goes well i'll add it as my fifth choice). ive asked all of them if they will consider my application in spite of my personal statement not matching up with the course and if they would accept an additional one (i read on ucas and thestudentroom that its an option) explaining why i want to study the course. now, i sent these emails on saturday so today was the first day any of them couldve replied and none have, so im sure i will get the replies in the next 2-3 days. obviously im already writing a second personal statement in the hopes of one of the unis giving me the ok. heres the actual question: should i just write it as if it was my actual personal statement submitted through ucas or should i give an explanation for me changing my mind? ucas suggests i shouldnt but i want to get another opinion or two.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    perhaps rather than saying 'I changed my mind because of X' you could say 'I really want to study this subject because of Y', I'm pretty sure I included why I wanted to study my subject anyway

ReputationRep:
    so i shouldnt mention at all that i originally applied for something different? ok thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just focus on why the new course choice, rather than why not the old one

ReputationRep:
    okay, definitely gonna do that. thank you!
    do you think it comes off as lazy if i keep entire paragraphs from my first personal statement if i feel like they already express what i want to say? for example, i start with saying how being a teenage girl makes me the target audience of pop music and how that made me feel like my generation was being underestimated so i started thinking critically about the music industry. i can totally apply that to my general interest in media, i'd only have to exchange a couple words and tweak a sentence or two. i think it sounds good and the approach worked since i got 3 offers but i keep worrying about how the uni will think of me when they compare my two statements.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Generally it's good to rewrite your statement but it's fine to reuse it if it's still relevant to both your course and circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks everyone! ive written a good portion of it now and its coming along well 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.