Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a primary school teacher and for a level I'm taking english language and philosophy&ethics. I'm also thinking about german, but unsure about my fourth.

If you do either one (or both) I'd love to find out your opinion on it, in terms of how interesting you find it, workload, difficulty, etc.

I want to go to Durham uni/good RG, if that matters?

Also contemplating about whether or not I should just get rid of german and do both psycology and sociology instead, because I'm so torn between them! But on the other hand, I've heard languages look good sooo?!😁

Grateful for any answers!! Thank you X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hol17)
    I want to be a primary school teacher and for a level I'm taking english language and philosophy&ethics. I'm also thinking about german, but unsure about my fourth.

If you do either one (or both) I'd love to find out your opinion on it, in terms of how interesting you find it, workload, difficulty, etc.

I want to go to Durham uni/good RG, if that matters?

Also contemplating about whether or not I should just get rid of german and do both psycology and sociology instead, because I'm so torn between them! But on the other hand, I've heard languages look good sooo?!😁

Grateful for any answers!! Thank you X
    I do both Psychology is more scientific and is classed by some universities as a 'relevant science A2', so Durham MIGHT prefer that one. BUT it is very hard especially at A2. Sociology I hated at AS but loved at A2. My only advice is to do the one you think you'll do better in - an A in Sociology will be much more preferred than a C in Psychology, or vice versa. I'd keep German too - languages are valued by universities

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    Languages are incredibly well respected by unis, do not drop German for the sake of psych&socio it will not be worth it.

Can confirm sociology is far more interesting at A2, and I believe Psych gets more interesting at A2 as well. Socio is easier to get an A in, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    I do both Psychology is more scientific and is classed by some universities as a 'relevant science A2', so Durham MIGHT prefer that one. BUT it is very hard especially at A2. Sociology I hated at AS but loved at A2. My only advice is to do the one you think you'll do better in - an A in Sociology will be much more preferred than a C in Psychology, or vice versa. I'd keep German too - languages are valued by universities

If you have any other questions feel free to ask
    Thanks so much!! I've read about content and looked at exam papers in both, but I think I'd probably get a higher grade is sociology, so think I'll go for that!

I've heard about languages being valued by a levels so would probably be worthwhile taking German over psycology, especially if Psycology can be difficult anyway! Thank you X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Languages are incredibly well respected by unis, do not drop German for the sake of psych&socio it will not be worth it.

Can confirm sociology is far more interesting at A2, and I believe Psych gets more interesting at A2 as well. Socio is easier to get an A in, imo.
    Thanks for your advice!! I was a bit worried if I was making the right choice about taking two social sciences if I want to be a primary teacher, so think I'll go for German instead!

I've heard that most people find sociology easier, so think I will go for that! X

ReputationRep:
    i do both
    AS socio was interesting, A2 is a joke. they all just chat so much crap. the size of unit 4 is uncecessarily huge. i find it incredibly boring as well.

i prefer psychology, but this is what i wanna do at uni, so im biased.
    after my first lesson of social psychology i was like 'wow'. it is so interesting. makes you look at people in a different way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hol17)
    Thanks so much!! I've read about content and looked at exam papers in both, but I think I'd probably get a higher grade is sociology, so think I'll go for that!

I've heard about languages being valued by a levels so would probably be worthwhile taking German over psycology, especially if Psycology can be difficult anyway! Thank you X
    I'm glad you've managed to decide Sociology was the subject I struggled with most at AS - even over Psychology. I guess if you're good at essay structure you'll do well - that was my main issue at least. Once I got past that I did well - ended up with an A which I'm still stunned at. There's also a lot of names to remember though the same can be said for Psychology. Then again I took it because Mum told me she'd be able to help me with it (she never did).

Best of luck with your GCSE exams

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.