Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help with the most disgusting 'solve for x' question I have been given Watch

ReputationRep:
    Srs

\displaystyle \frac{A-x}{A+x} = \frac{A-y}{A+y} \frac{A-z}{A+z}

\[\textrm{The answer is:}\]

x = \displaystyle \frac{y+z}{1+ (\frac{yz}{A^2})}

ffs didn't mean to post. was trying to edit my CORRECT latex code, but the code here is messed up, some help on the fractions would be sweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Srs

\displaystyle \frac{A-x}{A+x} = \frac{A-y}{A+y} \frac{A-z}{A+z}

The answer is:

x = \frac{}{}
    Assuming that what I've written is what you meant, then let's call everyting on the RHS k:

\displaysyle \frac{A-x}{A+x} = k \Rightarrow A - x = k(A+x) \Rightarrow A - x = kA + kx

Now collecting the x terms: \displaystyle A - kA = kx + x.

Factorise, simplify, isolate x and back-substitute k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Assuming that what I've written is what you meant, then let's call everyting on the RHS k:

\displaysyle \frac{A-x}{A+x} = k \Rightarrow A - x = k(A+x) \Rightarrow A - x = kA + kx

thanks, that's what I meant, what is the code you used?

ReputationRep:
    thanks, that's what I meant, what is the code you used?
    No problem. You should be able to see the code in my reply, but that's of no import right now. Do you understand the method I'm showcasing? Can you follow it?

ReputationRep:
    ... showcasing ...
    very nice!

ReputationRep:

No problem. You should be able to see the code in my reply, but that's of no import right now. Do you understand the method I'm showcasing? Can you follow it?
    you edited in my post, so I can't actually see that part, only the part in your own post which is like:

\frac{A-x}{A+x}

which is what I have in the op

Yeah makes sense, though it doesn't look like that will end up like the answer I have, which brings it back to the latex code, how do I do it? The answer is much messier than the starting expression.

ReputationRep:
    you edited in my post, so I can't actually see that part, only the part in your own post which is like:

\frac{A-x}{A+x}

which is what I have in the op

Yeah makes sense, though it doesn't look like that will end up like the answer I have, which brings it back to the latex code, how do I do it? The answer is much messier than the starting expression.
    Just click on the equation and it'll bring up the code.

You'll need to clean up your answer. It'll come down to simplifying \frac{1-k}{1+k}.

ReputationRep:
    Just click on the equation and it'll bring up the code.

You'll need to clean up your answer. It'll come down to simplifying \frac{1-k}{1+k}.
    op is edited.

Now I have that out of the way I'll try it out again, but can't see it bringing me to the answer from \frac{1-k}{1+k}, maybe I'm just being pessimistic, its been a long day.

ReputationRep:

op is edited.

Now I have that out of the way I'll try it out again, but can't see it bringing me to the answer from \frac{1-k}{1+k}, maybe I'm just being pessimistic, its been a long day.
    Can you understand the method in my post above? It simplifies to A(1-k) = x(k+1) \Rightarrow x = \frac{A(1-k)}{1+k}

ReputationRep:
    Can you understand the method in my post above? It simplifies to A(1-k) = x(k+1) \Rightarrow x = \frac{A(1-k)}{1+k}
    yeah makes sense,working on it now. Will update

ReputationRep:
    I end up with a complete abomination of an expression

ReputationRep:
    I end up with a complete abomination of an expression
    You'll need to look for common factors and cancel them out.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to look for common factors and cancel them out.
    have you worked this through to the answer in the op?

I am more than happy to spend all night at this, however right not I am not convinced I will end up with the answer in the op, which is killing my motivation to actually do this tedious elementary maths

ReputationRep:
    have you worked this through to the answer in the op?

I am more than happy to spend all night at this, however right not I am not convinced I will end up with the answer in the op, which is killing my motivation to actually do this tedious elementary maths
    Nopes. I can see off the bat that a few things cancel, but I'm not convinced of the given answer myself.

ReputationRep:
    Nopes. I can see off the bat that a few things cancel, but I'm not convinced of the given answer myself.
    ****ing knew it.

This is why I hate physics.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing knew it.

This is why I hate physics.
    I'm not saying it's incorrect, just that I haven't verified it myself. I'll do that in a bit and tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's incorrect, just that I haven't verified it myself. I'll do that in a bit and tell you.
    wolfram alpha'd it. Equations don't equal each other according to that, so I wouldn't waste your time. There is probably some substitution to be made somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    wolfram alpha'd it. Equations don't equal each other according to that, so I wouldn't waste your time. There is probably some substitution to be made somewhere.
    Oh well, you can still solve it and get a correct answer that isn't the given one.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, you can still solve it and get a correct answer that isn't the given one.
    well it seemed odd to me that we were asked to rearrange an equation in a physics modules tbh, it makes sense now that it isn't a simple but tedious maths exercise. It most likely involves the inverse Lorentz boost, where exactly it comes in is a different matter altogether. But I suspect that solving that equation for x and taking it no further will yield little if any marks sadly.

ReputationRep:
    I get the required solution out (with a bit of help from Mathematica). If

\displaystyle \phi = \frac{A - x}{A + x}

then

\displaystyle x = A \frac{1 - \phi}{1 + \phi}

If you set  \phi to be that mess on the RHS of the original equation, you get

\displaystyle \frac{1 - \phi}{1 + \phi} = \frac{(A+y)(A+z) - (A-y)(A-z)}{(A+y)(A+z) + (A-y)(A-z)}

If you feed this mess to FullSimplify in Mathematica it spits out

\displaystyle A \frac{(y+z)}{A^2+yz}

from which the result follows.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.