The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

QTS Skills tests!

Help!
I have my skills tests book for a couple of weeks time and I honestly do not know where to start with my revision, I have bought the numeracy and literacy skills test practice books but I feel like I need to do so much more.

Does anyone have any advice or tell me how they found the tests?
Also any ideas where to find practice material would be great! I really am struggling to find any! :frown:
Original post by missdla
Help!
I have my skills tests book for a couple of weeks time and I honestly do not know where to start with my revision, I have bought the numeracy and literacy skills test practice books but I feel like I need to do so much more.

Does anyone have any advice or tell me how they found the tests?
Also any ideas where to find practice material would be great! I really am struggling to find any! :frown:

Hey, I did my Literacy Test in January and honestly it was pretty easy. Exactly the same layout as the practice ones on the government website. I didn't even purchase any books to prep for it and still passed. Just stay calm, it'll be fine... I have numeracy to do and I'm dreading it.
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 28/01/2016
Hey, I did my Literacy Test in January and honestly it was pretty easy. Exactly the same layout as the practice ones on the government website. I didn't even purchase any books to prep for it and still passed. Just stay calm, it'll be fine... I have numeracy to do and I'm dreading it.

Oh really! A lot of people online have said how hard they were which has made me panic even more, but thank you! I know the main thing is to keep calm so I'm trying to do that haha.
Yeah I'm super scared for the mental arithmetic section! Good luck for your maths! I'm sure you'll be fine if you smashed literacy :smile:
Original post by missdla
Oh really! A lot of people online have said how hard they were which has made me panic even more, but thank you! I know the main thing is to keep calm so I'm trying to do that haha.
Yeah I'm super scared for the mental arithmetic section! Good luck for your maths! I'm sure you'll be fine if you smashed literacy :smile:

Tbh I was exactly like you, I was looking online to read about how people found it and perhaps just overthinked.... But somehow I stayed calm and honestly it wasn't that bad, also one tip, for the grammar part once you have selected the answer you think is correct for all that section, re-read that paragraph to make sure it flows and makes sense...

Maths literally isn't my strong point, I don't even know my times table... Yup I'm doomed! Hahaha....

Good luck for your tests :smile:
Reply 4
[QUOTE="28/01/2016;63146709"]Tbh I was exactly like you, I was looking online to read about how people found it and perhaps just overthinked.... But somehow I stayed calm and honestly it wasn't that bad, also one tip, for the grammar part once you have selected the answer you think is correct for all that section, re-read that paragraph to make sure it flows and makes sense...

Maths literally isn't my strong point, I don't even know my times table... Yup I'm doomed! Hahaha....

Good luck for your tests :smile:[/QUOTE

Ah right okay thank you for that! I just did one practice literacy and got 56% whoops! but for doing it in 10 minutes whilst tired I think that's given me a bit of hope haha.
Honestly you sound the same as me! I over think maths too much even times tables where I get myself in such a panic that I forget! Hopefully once I've passed my course I can get a job in EYFS :wink: haha!
Thank you so much for your help!! :smile:
Original post by missdla

Ah right okay thank you for that! I just did one practice literacy and got 56% whoops! but for doing it in 10 minutes whilst tired I think that's given me a bit of hope haha.
Honestly you sound the same as me! I over think maths too much even times tables where I get myself in such a panic that I forget! Hopefully once I've passed my course I can get a job in EYFS :wink: haha!
Thank you so much for your help!! :smile:

Literally 56% is really good, because i think 63% is a pass, so not far off and you rushed this one. Plus, in the real test you'll be more focused because it's the only thing you have to do, so you'll be fine, just relax and stay calm.

Tbh, I tried a practice paper for maths having no clue what was expected from it and when i saw a little timer to calculate something in the mental arithmetic section i freaked out and closed the browser! haha.... how am i going to succeed in life?

My tutor did say that because i got a B at gcse for maths i should pass the test but i don't really know, like i said i'm not good with times table and divisions but oh well, i guess i should first revise for it and then attempt it to see where i go wrong etc, when's your numeracy test? And the books you have purchased are they helpful, would you recommend purchasing them?
Reply 6
Literally 56% is really good, because i think 63% is a pass, so not far off and you rushed this one. Plus, in the real test you'll be more focused because it's the only thing you have to do, so you'll be fine, just relax and stay calm.

Tbh, I tried a practice paper for maths having no clue what was expected from it and when i saw a little timer to calculate something in the mental arithmetic section i freaked out and closed the browser! haha.... how am i going to succeed in life?

My tutor did say that because i got a B at gcse for maths i should pass the test but i don't really know, like i said i'm not good with times table and divisions but oh well, i guess i should first revise for it and then attempt it to see where i go wrong etc, when's your numeracy test? And the books you have purchased are they helpful, would you recommend purchasing them?

Yeah that's true, just practice practice practice!! haha.
Oh don't, I'm dreading the maths to the point I could probably cry! but I'm sure it will all work out in the end. You will be fine too! It's just one of those things unfortunately that we both have to work a lot harder at :frown: haha.
I've got my maths and literacy on the same day, the 19th of March, I want them hopefully both over and done with in one day (in an ideal world).

What uni's have you applied for?
Original post by missdla
Yeah that's true, just practice practice practice!! haha.
Oh don't, I'm dreading the maths to the point I could probably cry! but I'm sure it will all work out in the end. You will be fine too! It's just one of those things unfortunately that we both have to work a lot harder at :frown: haha.
I've got my maths and literacy on the same day, the 19th of March, I want them hopefully both over and done with in one day (in an ideal world).

What uni's have you applied for?

You'll pass!!! Don't worry, and let me know how the tests go once you've done them. Good luck!!

Im going to go to either Edge Hill university or the university of Cumbria... How about you?
Reply 8
You'll pass!!! Don't worry, and let me know how the tests go once you've done them. Good luck!!

Im going to go to either Edge Hill university or the university of Cumbria... How about you?

I willing do! 2 weeks to go, so not long now 😳
Oh nice, I'm going to the University of Hertfordshire 🙂
Reply 9
You might find my blog helpful for knowing what to expect! https://myteachingjourneyweb.wordpress.com/
Hi,

Good luck everyone with your skills tests!

Don't forget we run skills test support sessions throughout the year. Our next one is on the 20th June and you can book your place on our website.

If you have any questions, just let us know.

Heather

Quick Reply

Latest