Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by fishyfishy1999)
    Never been on this site in my life until a few days ago. Only been back in the UK since Christmas. I'd never heard of this site before.

You are a bit paranoid aren't you? I see your posts going around like a mother hen on here. A little too wrapped up in this for someone on the other side of 30.
    My mistake. We've had a bit of a glut of adults taking 3 Maths A levels over a few months to start university this autumn who seem to enjoy telling teenagers that they're not clever.

You'll probably get along well with them if you're looking for TSR friends:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=2402953 and http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=2364873

ReputationRep:
    to be completely honest the hardest and well respected a levels are. math, physics, biology, chemistry, computer science, history, English lang and maybe literarture. other than them a levels the others really depend on the university. but the one I chosen are the one all universities like all universities like. also it depends on the course

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah I forgot. further math is haard. but to make it easy to as level math first to good in it and next year when you are doing a2 math take as further math and everything is actually really easy. my cousing done this. C in math as level and B overall. further math as level was A and a2 was A overall. he did three years in sixthform. he wanted to go Cambridge or oxford so you probably can guess the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleggj88)
    Chemistry is the hardest of my subjects, i do biology, chemistry, physics and maths
    I'm thinking of taking the same options next year so I just wanted to ask how you are finding them. I've been warned that they are going to be too difficult to do but is it possible to manage? Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Additional Further Maths..
    I know It depends on modules but its very unlikely that you will do M4 M5 D2 and FP3 with ordinary further maths.
    It takes the applied modules to a much higher lever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SargentZenj2)
    Additional Further Maths..
    I know It depends on modules but its very unlikely that you will do M4 M5 D2 and FP3 with ordinary further maths.
    It takes the applied modules to a much higher lever
    This.
    Applied modules especially mechanics in additional further maths are just like hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    I like your argument however I would 'disagree' with you on a few points. I do think it's possible for someone to not understand the subject in an essay subject - it's possible for someone to miss 'the point', hold fallacies about the subject, ill define the subject and therefore go severely off topic, and poorly argue their points in such a way as to make false statements which might even contradict or over simplify the subject matter. If one is good at interpretation and argumentation however it is often possible to write something that is coherent and poignant without much knowledge of the topic.

Also, is that idea that mathematical knowledge is finite a healthy assumption? I'm not a mathematician but I would have thought it more fruitful to assume the opposite. Math is a language, no? - or, even, more like 'language', grammar that is - so perhaps anything could be said about anything. And the universe having no edge, that's a lot of things...

In classics there is still a huge amount of research to be done relating to the reconstitution of texts - without which information the number of interpretations possible is very open. There are even entire languages yet to be decodified. So although the information on the subject is finite, there is still great call for the ongoing application of logic.
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    It also helps if you are interested in your subjects

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of work but providing that you work hard and keep at it you will do fine i tend to get roughly a hour of homework and then a hour of revision a day and have recently had my mocks and got A in physics, A in maths ,B in biology and B in chemistry
    Oh wow! Congratulations! Are you taking A levels in all of them or dropping one after AS?

ReputationRep:
    I will intend to drop chemistry as i find it very boring and thank you

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is f*cking awful

ReputationRep:
    I will intend to drop chemistry as i find it very boring and thank you
    To be honest, at the moment I'm really excited for A level Chemistry. Unfortunately next year due to the A level reforms I won't be able to drop a subject so I'll be stuck with these till the very end. So I'm worried I'm going end up with options way too difficult for me to do. What are you thinking of doing at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    I will be doing either mechanical engineering or physics with maths and i know what you mean about the reforms as it should apply to us but our college have found a way where we decide after our As exams and i was too for chemistry but i think i hate it soo much due to my teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BluBird :))
    To be honest, at the moment I'm really excited for A level Chemistry. Unfortunately next year due to the A level reforms I won't be able to drop a subject so I'll be stuck with these till the very end. So I'm worried I'm going end up with options way too difficult for me to do. What are you thinking of doing at Uni?
    What do you think you will do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Geography it gets me so mad.

ReputationRep:
    Languages- there isn't a set syllabus to revise, literally anything could be on the exam, and we have to learn books and films in another language and analyse them, without having the books or any notes with us in the (3 hour) exam. Plus the speaking exam is extremely nerve-wracking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Which genius told you photography was one of the hardest lol?😂🌚
    I just heard it was hard to get a good grade :bricks:

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaO'Neill)
    Photography is a lot of work and you need 100% for A or A*. not that difficult though just time consuming and takes away from other subjects x
    (Original post by Username002)
    Oh, that *does* sound tough...try not to chip a nail while clicking the camera, okay pumpkin?
    100% for an A or A*, that's why it's tough

ReputationRep:
    Computing hands down. It's like defending yourself in a court in Saudi Arabia- impossible!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.