Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleggj88)
    What do you think you will do at uni?
    Lucky you. All the sixth forms I'm applying to don't have an AS option. And I feel like people in my year around the country will be more likely to do 4 A levels now because of the reforms so I don't want to be at a disadvantage by only picking 3.I'm thinking about doing medicine but it is honestly such a long route so I'm not sure. It's a shame you have a terrible teacher, the spec looks so interesting but really tough if not taught well.

ReputationRep:
    Like some other people have said, it's definitely subjective. Some things are a doozy for some people and absolute hell for others.

But I'd always say language A-levels are absurdly challenging. You just have to cover so many bases - not only do you need the knowledge & analytical skills to write what's essentially an English literature essay (alongside a translation & another essay), you need to do it in a different language and make sure your grammar & lexis in that language are up to scratch the whole time! With a 15 minute speaking exam on top of that, no less. It's hell hahah.

ReputationRep:
    i take:
    Biology (A at GCSE)
    Chemistry (B at GCSE)
    physics (B at GCSE)
    psychology (C at GCSE)

personally i find biology really easy because i love it and its all i want to do and i find psychology easy because i just see it as an easy subject but chemistry and physics at A level are so much harder than GCSE and in physics i haven't even got a grade in a progress test yet half way through AS so in my opinion physics is the hardest A-level. like at the moment i would rather be water boarded every day than attend a physics lesson because i hate it because i cant do it at all lol :P

(Original post by chloe.lwt)
    100% for an A or A*, that's why it's tough
    Raw marks to UMS conversions are scaled so that all the grades obtained by all candidates follow a normal distribution. Meaning that high grade boundaries show that a load of people get very high marks so they have to increase grade boundaries just so they can reduce the number of people getting A*s. So If anything this shows how easy it is to obtain high marks in that subject

ReputationRep:
    100% for an A or A*, that's why it's tough
    I just checked the UMS converter and it's not 100% for an A/A*

ReputationRep:
    I will computing and physics will probably be the easiest for me in a level.
    I think the hardest is probably further maths due to the sheet amount of work you need to put IN but if ur a hard worker, nothing is hard.
    The exams are designed for humans, if someone can do it, you can do it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Raw marks to UMS conversions are scaled so that all the grades obtained by all candidates follow a normal distribution. Meaning that high grade boundaries show that a load of people get very high marks so they have to increase grade boundaries just so they can reduce the number of people getting A*s. So If anything this shows how easy it is to obtain high marks in that subject
    you sure the grades follow a normal distribution? i heard that 50% of people doing further maths get an A/A*. i thought if grades followed a normal distribution the grades would be distributed like IQ scores, e.g. 2% get an IQ score of 130 or higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    you sure the grades follow a normal distribution? i heard that 50% of people doing further maths get an A/A*.
    I think if they followed a normal distribution it would be very flawed

Because the pool taking FM is so self selective, you'd have the best competing against the very best. Which would be unfair compared to something like Physics where you also have a substantial number of mediocre students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Even if it is easy to get high marks, the amount of work needed to get the best grades is huge and will take away time that could be spent learning and revising other subjects. Perhaps from an academic point of view photography isn't hard but it does require more time commitment and persistence than other subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I think if they followed a normal distribution it would be very flawed

Because the pool taking FM is so self selective, you'd have the best competing against the very best. Which would be unfair compared to something like Physics where you also have a substantial number of mediocre students
    ya you're right it'd be difficult to norm the grades properly. it'd be like trying to norm an IQ test with only a sample of mensa members.

ReputationRep:
    Even if it is easy to get high marks, the amount of work needed to get the best grades is huge and will take away time that could be spent learning and revising other subjects. Perhaps from an academic point of view photography isn't hard but it does require more time commitment and persistence than other subjects
    photography is mickey mouse m8

ReputationRep:
    ya you're right it'd be difficult to norm the grades properly. it'd be like trying to norm an IQ test with only a sample of mensa members.
    Exactly lol

ReputationRep:
    How do you revise in Physics and actually do well!!!! in exams!

ReputationRep:
    photography is mickey mouse m8
    smh, try being open minded "m8"

ReputationRep:
    smh accept it's mickey m8
    do you take photography??

ReputationRep:
    do you take photography??
    its just taking photos innit?

ReputationRep:
    Trollllllllll

ReputationRep:
    just photos? lmao, nope. do some research before trying to prove a point, just a bit of advice buddy

ReputationRep:
    every A level is 'hard' in their own way. You cant categorize it to just a handful

ReputationRep:
    Easiest: Chemistry and Biology.
    Hardest: Geography.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.