hardest a-level watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Well let's be honest I got a lower % UMS in general studies than in physics so yeah lol, anything could come up and you have no way of revising. Physics at least has a proper spec

Well here's a small extract from what you've linked, they did studies between 1994-2006, which is 12 years (more than the 10 years since 2006). They found that data was quite stable during those years, and I'm sure in that time period specs changed just as they do now, yet relative difficulties remain fairly constant.
    Attachment 509197
    The changes to A levels coming up are so marked that they've delayed the introduction of the new Maths AS/A level until the new GCSE content has been taught through. The step up from the current GCSE content to the new AS/A level content would have been too much for most students.

I think what you're misunderstanding is that the reforms to A levels (both short term adjustments to marking/UMS calculation, short term changes to remove January exams and reduce the module numbers for some subjects and the more extreme changes to linear study coming in in September) were in response to the 2008 study you're quoting.

Quote that study to back up anything about A levels since is to misunderstand the context of what you're looking at and the impact it has already had on A level content. Use it all you like to **** off A level subjects people took in 2004-2006 (although tbh I don't understand what would motivate you to do that other than pettiness or insecurity about your own decisions)...using it to mock people taking A levels now demonstrates a severe lack of understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    When all 4 of your choices are mentioned as being some of the hardest
    Spoiler:
    Show
    bio, chem, maths, f maths
    All relative though. None of the A levels are actually hard.

(Original post by Nicoley-oley)
    'Probs', I'm not seeing your evidence here, stop assuming, it's sheer assumption that started this debate up in the first place.

A 'Mickey Mouse' subject to some could be a difficult one to others. I love Biology and I find it very easy at A level, but if I were to call it a Mickey Mouse subject, someone would have something to say about that. Are you seeing the pattern here?
    Name:  image.png
Views: 100
Size:  209.1 KB

Read number 4 honey cakessss

Great I'm glad you find biology easy, but people would laugh at you for calling a STEM subject a Mickey Mouse Course lol. Although I do think biology isn't as hard as every fears it is, the sheer amount and detail of content, and route of assessment makes it fairly harder than many other subjects.

Thing is, let's be realistic here. I'm not sure why you continue to claim photography is suddenly a hard a level lol?

High Stakes look at this lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Classical Civilisation is making up 60% of my revision time (over politics and geog)

(Original post by PQ)
    The changes to A levels coming up are so marked that they've delayed the introduction of the new Maths AS/A level until the new GCSE content has been taught through. The step up from the current GCSE content to the new AS/A level content would have been too much for most students.

I think what you're misunderstanding is that the reforms to A levels (both short term adjustments to marking/UMS calculation, short term changes to remove January exams and reduce the module numbers for some subjects and the more extreme changes to linear study coming in in September) were in response to the 2008 study you're quoting.

Quote that study to back up anything about A levels since is to misunderstand the context of what you're looking at and the impact it has already had on A level content. Use it all you like to **** off A level subjects people took in 2004-2006 (although tbh I don't understand what would motivate you to do that other than pettiness or insecurity about your own decisions)...using it to mock people taking A levels now demonstrates a severe lack of understanding.
    No Hun you don't understand my point lol

You're talking about maths getting harder, so if anything are you trying to say that maths is now going to become relatively even harder than other subjects? No, the reforms to A levels apply to all subjects, so it's a fairly decent assumption that the RELATIVE difficulties Remain the same. Ie you can change the photography specs all you like, but you won't make it a faciliating subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishyfishy1999)
    All relative though. None of the A levels are actually hard.
    None of hers, or none at all?

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry by far. Followed by Physics, Biology and Maths. But it's all subjective. In terms of non Science-y subjects, probably History and English Lit.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    No Hun you don't understand my point lol

You're talking about maths getting harder, so if anything are you trying to say that maths is now going to become relatively even harder than other subjects? No, the reforms to A levels apply to all subjects, so it's a fairly decent assumption that the RELATIVE difficulties Remain the same. Ie you can change the photography specs all you like, but you won't make it a faciliating subject
    :facepalm: aaaaand there you go again drawing conclusions from a very limited understanding of the data.

FWIW I was exactly like you when I was 17 and taking my A levels. A report came out in the paper saying "GS, Physics, Maths and Chemistry are the hardest A levels" and I was just as smug about my choices as you are. Especially when I got my best grades in the most difficult of those....I must be some sort of genius right???!!! Wrong. I'm no genius. I liked those subjects, they interested me and they tested my knowledge and understanding in a way I found easy. I played to my strengths and other people play to theirs.

Please believe me when I reassure you that you do not need to belittle other people's choices and decisions to justify your own. And when you do so it makes you seem immature, petty and insecure.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 100
Size:  209.1 KB

Read number 4 honey cakessss

Great I'm glad you find biology easy, but people would laugh at you for calling a STEM subject a Mickey Mouse Course lol. Although I do think biology isn't as hard as every fears it is, the sheer amount and detail of content, and route of assessment makes it fairly harder than many other subjects.

Thing is, let's be realistic here. I'm not sure why you continue to claim photography is suddenly a hard a level lol?

High Stakes look at this lol
    I love how you say one thing and then another, some people in the art community would laugh at you for calling photography a Mickey Mouse subject. Photography requires skill and talent as well as a decent amount of analytical skill, passion, independent study etc. But, you know, as I keep saying and will continue to do so, it is entirely subjective, you think it's easy - others disagree, let's just let sleeping dogs lie.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry no doubt about it

(Original post by PQ)
    :facepalm: aaaaand there you go again drawing conclusions from a very limited understanding of the data.

FWIW I was exactly like you when I was 17 and taking my A levels. A report came out in the paper saying "GS, Physics, Maths and Chemistry are the hardest A levels" and I was just as smug about my choices as you are. Especially when I got my best grades in the most difficult of those....I must be some sort of genius right???!!! Wrong. I'm no genius. I liked those subjects, they interested me and they tested my knowledge and understanding in a way I found easy. I played to my strengths and other people play to theirs.

Please believe me when I reassure you that you do not need to belittle other people's choices and decisions to justify your own. And when you do so it makes you seem immature, petty and insecure.
    Excuse me but when did I mention my choices to her and when did I say I must've been better than her lol are you ok?
    (Original post by Nicoley-oley)
    I love how you say one thing and then another, some people in the art community would laugh at you for calling photography a Mickey Mouse subject. Photography requires skill and talent as well as a decent amount of analytical skill, passion, independent study etc. But, you know, as I keep saying and will continue to do so, it is entirely subjective, you think it's easy - others disagree, let's just let sleeping dogs lie.
    People in the art community don't really get a right to laugh at that having their distinction in photography lol

Whatever girl you do you but really... Most people could get a decent grade in photography with little skill and interest

ReputationRep:
    Woah! this thread made so many responses! Here's the fact: the basic subjects aka traditional subjects are more demanding of brains than the applied ones at alevel. No alevel is hard if you are interested in them. That's why different people find different subjects hard.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    people are going to accuse me of trolling but I would say AS psychology and accounting are hard (or they were in the 2008/2009). I got a U in AS psycho and quite accounting as I kept scoring Es and Fs after 2 weeks. Either way, I would say uni is less of a hassle than A levels tbh but A levels are needed to get to uni

ReputationRep:
    From my choices, it's Latin>English Literature>Biology>Psychology

Latin is very difficult and requires so much knowledge of how the language actually works. You can't rely on just knowing the vocab and trying to guess your way through the text. It's ridiculously complex, and the literature aspect is also difficult.
    English Lit,while the content is not difficult, for some reason I struggle. I feel like I'm going to fail because I'm not sure how it's examined and how I need to write.
    Biology I really enjoy. There's a lot of content but I think it's alright. However one time I thought I smashed an assessment and got a U lmao. In my mock I got an A though :lol:
    Psych is also really interesting. Lots to remember but it's manageable

ReputationRep:
    Computer science is the hardest imo, I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Computer Science.

For most of the sciences looking at mark schemes and knowing how to structure your answers is all you need to do for a good grade(aside from remembering )
    Some biology questions are a bit dodgy and subjects like computer science have very little focused study resources which makes them pretty hard.

If you don't like writing an essay type subject might be the hardest for you so it all depends!

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me but when did I mention my choices to her and when did I say I must've been better than her lol are you ok?

People in the art community don't really get a right to laugh at that having their distinction in photography lol

Whatever girl you do you but really... Most people could get a decent grade in photography with little skill and interest
    It's all relative,honestly. I know people doing all science subjects but would struggle with more essay based/arts subject. I don't believe any subject is automatically harder than another. People find different things difficult.

(Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    It's all relative,honestly. I know people doing all science subjects but would struggle with more essay based/arts subject. I don't believe any subject is automatically harder than another. People find different things difficult.
    Yeah that's why I used to graph because it has three different sections. I personally would dislike essay subject, however I think high grades in subjects like art and design, film studies, photography and etc are accessible to pretty much everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    maths since the introduction of A* had the higher percentage of A* every single year.
    (I stand corrected if I am wrong)
    Hardest A level would be Further Maths IF you take the latter mechanics modules.

For example: A level Maths (C1-4, M1-2)
    A level Further Maths (FP1-3, M3-5) <--- Hardest A level without a shadow of a doubt!

Would you agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    Hardest A level would be Further Maths IF you take the latter mechanics modules.

For example: A level Maths (C1-4, M1-2)
    A level Further Maths (FP1-3, M3-5) <--- Hardest A level without a shadow of a doubt!

Would you agree?
    From personal experience I'd say FP1-4, M5 S5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetragon213)
    De whatsit's theorem
    :facepalm:
    numbers that don't even exist.
    What do you mean exist? Numbers only exist as abstract objects and we can define new ones as required. I take it you don't like ie^{i\pi}.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.