Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have an offer for chemical physics (1st year) for AAA and will be putting Edinburgh as my insurance probably. I don't know much about it tbh and need to go to an open day!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to the Physics Offer Holder day on April 13???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Nope, thankfully not. :ahee: So I'm not really putting much effort into it, but I think it's been a good learning process and a way to keep up my English :top:
    Haha I need an A* in FM which I'm slightly worried about but oh well, I cant complain, an offer is an offer :mmm:
    Good luck with your exams too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha that's the spirit

Dw, you'll smash FM! And that doesn't sound like a bad offer! I was expecting cambridge to be like A*A*A* or something xD
    And thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iscribbletoomuch)
    Haha that's the spirit

Dw, you'll smash FM! And that doesn't sound like a bad offer! I was expecting cambridge to be like A*A*A* or something xD
    And thanks
    Well I also need and A* in either physics or chemistry but I'm not too worried because it's 'either'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    Well I also need and A* in either physics or chemistry but I'm not too worried because it's 'either'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I have an offer for BSc Physics (2nd Year Entry) and my offer is A*AA with the A* in Maths

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm an A-level student, and I really need guidance in astronomy. I have so many queries and doubts, can I PM someone? Edinburgh is my aim, I really need help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    Hey, I'm an A-level student, and I really need guidance in astronomy. I have so many queries and doubts, can I PM someone? Edinburgh is my aim, I really need help!
    If you still need help I could give it a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PLM98)
    Is anyone going to the Physics Offer Holder visit on April 11???
    No one???

ReputationRep:
    First or second year entry? Not sure which to go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cameronwyper1)
    First or second year entry? Not sure which to go with.
    Second saves many monies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iscribbletoomuch)
    Second saves many monies
    Hmm.. I live in Scotland so I don't pay tuition fees, but may save with other things

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm a current final year MPhys student at Edinburgh, feel free to throw questions my way if you have any!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ixicrom)
    Hey I'm a current final year MPhys student at Edinburgh, feel free to throw questions my way if you have any!
    Hi, would you have any idea what the transition is like for someone going straight into second year in terms of difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbloom1904)
    Hi, would you have any idea what the transition is like for someone going straight into second year in terms of difficulty?
    I personally didn't go straight to second year, but with my A levels (physics, maths, further maths) first year did cover a lot of material I had already seen before. The school also tries really hard to make sure people who go directly into second year don't miss out on any important topics, so you'll do a couple of special courses that add on to the courses that people who did first year do. You'll definitely have to work harder than most of your first-year friends in halls etc, especially if they're doing humanities courses with much less contact time, so you might feel like you miss out on some of the first year experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, because if you start in second year I think it's pretty easy to switch into first year during the first 2 or 3 weeks if you find it's too steep a transition. What A levels are you doing/did you do?

ReputationRep:
    I personally didn't go straight to second year, but with my A levels (physics, maths, further maths) first year did cover a lot of material I had already seen before. The school also tries really hard to make sure people who go directly into second year don't miss out on any important topics, so you'll do a couple of special courses that add on to the courses that people who did first year do. You'll definitely have to work harder than most of your first-year friends in halls etc, especially if they're doing humanities courses with much less contact time, so you might feel like you miss out on some of the first year experience.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, because if you start in second year I think it's pretty easy to switch into first year during the first 2 or 3 weeks if you find it's too steep a transition. What A levels are you doing/did you do?
    Im doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbloom1904)
    Im doing physics, chemistry, maths and further maths
    I think you should cope fine with the material then, so I'd say the only consideration is the experience you want! I enjoyed having first year to settle in with a year where I didn't have to try so hard with the courses, but if that's not a big deal for you then I say go for it

I also wouldn't worry about whether you'll struggle to make friends if your classmates have already known each other for a year - I made most of my friends after first year anyway (and plenty of them did direct entry), and the direct entry people tend to make good friends with each other too

ReputationRep:
    I think you should cope fine with the material then, so I'd say the only consideration is the experience you want! I enjoyed having first year to settle in with a year where I didn't have to try so hard with the courses, but if that's not a big deal for you then I say go for it

I also wouldn't worry about whether you'll struggle to make friends if your classmates have already known each other for a year - I made most of my friends after first year anyway (and plenty of them did direct entry), and the direct entry people tend to make good friends with each other too
    Thanks, i was a bit worried about making friends too so that's good to know

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, has anyone heard about the Margaret Campbell Scott scholarship available at Edinburgh? Their website does give some info, but it's a bit vague. Apparently you don't need to apply, but everything else is a bit shrouded in mystery.

Anyone know anything or know of any past recipients? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Do you like the course, the department and the university?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.