Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to do this question but I keep getting to the wrong answer, can someone help?

For a script, calculate the quantity of each ingredient required

Choral hydrate 200mg
    Black syrup 1ml
    Water 0.1ml
    Syrup to 5ml

Supply 140ml

If someone can help me and also show me how you got to your answer that would be great

ReputationRep:
    A delayed reply,

But would it not be 2.8ml water, 28ml black syrup and 5.6g chloral hydrate?
    You need the total to 140ml, but the script says to 5ml, so you multiply each quantity by 28.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. So what is the formula for each, how would I actually get to each answer?

ReputationRep:
    Ive pretty much described the answer above, there isn't really a formula, but I'll give a bit more detail,

The script says syrup to 5mL, the important word here being 'to', so we know the solution is mainly compromised of the syrup, thus we calculate the quantity of syrup we need first and adjust amounts of the other ingredients accordingly.

So, we have 5mL of syrup, but we need 140mL. So what do we multiply 5 by to get 140? We multiply it by 28. Now, we have the 140mL of syrup, we need to adjust the quantity of the others, bearing in mind 28 is now our 'magic number' to calculate the quantities of others.

For water we have 0.1mL and for black syrup we have 1mL. Thus we multiply each of these by 28 to get our final answers of 2.8mL water and 28mL black syrup. Now we do the same with chloral hydrate, we have 200mg so we multiply it by 28, to give us 5600mg, but we should convert this to grams as no one really works with miligrams of that high quantity, so we divide 5600 by 1000 to give us 5.6 grams.

I think my previous answer was more succinct, if anything I'm not sure me explaining it here will help you understand, but anyway, I hope it helped!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 18, 2016

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.