Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B939 - Jury Service Bill 2016, The Hon. barnetlad MP
    Jury Service Bill 2016

A BILL TO
    Extend Jury Service to include those between 70 and 75 years of age

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The maximum age for serving on a Jury shall be raised from 70 years to 75 years of age.
    2. Those who reach their 75th birthday during a period of jury service shall continue until the period of jury service ends.
    3. It shall not be permissible to seek to postpone jury service so as to be over 75 years of age when a revised date is offered. The penalty for so doing shall be the same as for non-attendance or non-response to a jury summons.
    4. Local authorities responsible for electoral registers shall amend electoral registration forms to comply with the higher age.

Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill
    5. This Bill shall be known as the Jury Service Bill 2016
    6. This Bill shall apply to England and Wales
    7. This Bill shall take effect from 1 April 2017.

Notes
    The present maximum age for jury service is 70, and this Bill raises it by five years. Until the last Great Repeal Bill was passed by the House, TSR law had a jury service age up to 75 under Act B711. This Bill also includes a provision to deter postponement to take a person over 75 years of age.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why?

The only justification seems to be "we have passed this in the past."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I thought that the socalists have already gotten rid of jury's...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I recall a bill to change how they operate, but not to get rid of

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Why?

The only justification seems to be "we have passed this in the past."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I presume to change what could be seen as an out of date piece of legislation as people are now living longer
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Is there a shortage of people for jury service?

Although a slight generalization, it is probably harder for people of the age of seventy and above to travel and participate in juries ( source: people I know ).

I think giving the people of ages 70 -> 75 the option is a far better way as otherwise the legitimacy of trials may be not as legitimate before.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    We changed how they operate so they are now only arbiters of fact. I object to s4 on the ground that it seems to ban people from asking for delays for jury service after a certain point - I'd rather it were changed so that delays after the 75th birthday for previously-mandated jury service had to be carried out anyway.

I'm also not sure I see the point in general.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Nay here.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I presume to change what could be seen as an out of date piece of legislation as people are now living longer
    I didn't see any changes to retirement age in the budget or any statement, people are living longer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    We changed how they operate so they are now only arbiters of fact. I object to s4 on the ground that it seems to ban people from asking for delays for jury service after a certain point - I'd rather it were changed so that delays after the 75th birthday for previously-mandated jury service had to be carried out anyway.

I'm also not sure I see the point in general.
    Okay.

Nay anyway, I'm worried they are more likely to keel over mid-trial.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Leave the poor sods alone, that'd be a lot of effort getting a load of 75 year olds into court, trying to make it safe for ramps and so they don't fall and stuff.

I say at that age, leave them be, they've earned it if they've made it to 75.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I didn't see any changes to retirement age in the budget or any statement, people are living longer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never said it was a government position, and this is a green member pmb, I merely put forward what I presumed to be the case for submitting the bill to the house
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Leave the poor sods alone, that'd be a lot of effort getting a load of 75 year olds into court, trying to make it safe for ramps and so they don't fall and stuff.

I say at that age, leave them be, they've earned it if they've made it to 75.
    Even though something like 80pc it more make it to 75

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nay. When you're getting to that age, the risk of anything happening, is much greater, due to stress of being on jury service or anything like that...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm not suggesting that old people have impaired judgement, but I don't think courts should be completely filled with old people. Besides, I think anyone over 70 years of age deserves to enjoy their retirement in peace. Therefore, it is a nay for me.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Pointless really.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I find this suggestion that the bill will lead to juries being filled with old people amusing to say the least, what this does is increase the age range from 52 to 57 years. It is also worth noting that during these 5 years you are still excusable from Jury Duty, being over 65.

Assuming this exemption is not used and supposing all other exemptions and exceptions have negligible impact, it increases the average member of pensioners on a Jury from about 1.2 to about 2, and that also assumes all the demographics are the same, I.e. doesn't factor in varying birth and death rates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is in part about tackling ageism, and also updating legislation as people on average live longer than when the age limit was set, many years ago. As to the question of a shortage of jurors, there are possibly fewer people to select from than even three or four years ago. Individual electoral registration, which the House has chosen to keep, has taken potential voters from the electoral register, from which jurors are drawn.

The age was last changed in 1988.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    This is in part about tackling ageism, and also updating legislation as people on average live longer than when the age limit was set, many years ago. As to the question of a shortage of jurors, there are possibly fewer people to select from than even three or four years ago. Individual electoral registration, which the House has chosen to keep, has taken potential voters from the electoral register, from which jurors are drawn.

The age was last changed in 1988.
    If it's about ageism then why is the cap not removed entirely, along with the excuse for over 65s, and when can we expect a PMB to abolish the state pension?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.