Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If Bernie Sanders can potentially contest a presidential election (though hopefully it will be Hillary) at the age of 75 then I'm sure we can raise the jury service limit that high.

Aye!

(But yes, a little bit of déjà vu, and probably not the only bit to come in the coming weeks.)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    If Bernie Sanders can potentially contest a presidential election (though hopefully it will be Hillary) at the age of 75 then I'm sure we can raise the jury service limit that high.

Aye!

(But yes, a little bit of déjà vu, and probably not the only bit to come in the coming weeks.)
    Regan was also 79, was he a very good president? Being able to do something does not mean you should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Lets leave the pensioners to enjoy their retirement eh?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I can't see any particular reason why not, so aye. It's not like 75 is the level of old where their presence in court would be something difficult to arrange.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I can't see any particular reason why not, so aye. It's not like 75 is the level of old where their presence in court would be something difficult to arrange.
    It is, however, in the age bracket where degenerative disease rates really start picking up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    It is, however, in the age bracket where degenerative disease rates really start picking up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If someone had a degenerative disease that would make them unsuitable for jury then I'm sure an exemption could be granted as it would be with someone under 70.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    If someone had a degenerative disease that would make them unsuitable for jury then I'm sure an exemption could be granted as it would be with someone under 70.
    But it also creates and increasing bureaucratic nightmare as you add more an more people with an increasing percentage being ineligible or otherwise exempt without request
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I genuinely didn't realise jury service was a compulsory thing - never really understood how juries work tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But it also creates and increasing bureaucratic nightmare as you add more an more people with an increasing percentage being ineligible or otherwise exempt without request
    Which is why anything over 75 wouldn't be a good idea until they've found an Alzheimer's cure and some way of delaying ageing. The additional bureaucracy resulting from this would be negligible. While age-related degenerative diseases are obviously at a slightly higher prevalence than with younger ages, most 70-75-year-olds either don't have them or don't have them to the extent to which they would be incapable of jury service.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nay, just because it was passed before doesn't make it a good idea.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, resubmitting a bill that was not perfect when first passed is lazy; redraft it first.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, resubmitting a bill that was not perfect when first passed is lazy; redraft it first.
    Is this identical to the previous Bill?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Is this identical to the previous Bill?
    The interpretation I have of the notes sections leads me to think it is an identical bill, but I have not found the original bill to compare.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The interpretation I have of the notes sections leads me to think it is an identical bill, but I have not found the original bill to compare.
    Mmm, will have a look now!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Not identical, no, however, was submitted by barnetlad in 2014 as well as now...!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...highlight=B711

Only took 30 seconds to find
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    mobbsy91 Aph I see his formatting has improved but the bill achieves the same thing as before, the problems about age discrimination in the legal system, the unfair selection of jury members, the questions over the capability of all people eligible for jury service to be on a jury, and the problems with the difficulty in sometimes getting out of jury service have not been addressed; this change should be part if a larger bill to overhaul the legal system.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ctrl-F, jury

??
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Ctrl-F, jury

??
    Search forum, B711

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.