Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people, good evening

I'm a 21 years old guy from Italy, about to graduate in Business Administration with what should be (fingers crossed) a 2:1 or first, at my local uni in Turin.

I want to study something totally different in my MA, and I was interested in OU's MA in Classical Studies. I will be, of course, more than happy to take extra undegraduate courses to fill the "gap".

Anyway, my question is: if I actually get in and graduate from OU, will my MA be respected in further PhD iadmissions (in Classics) all over the UK and possibly USA? Or will it be considered not at the same level as other degrees? if that's the case, going for a MA in Distance Learning from Leicester, same subject, would be more "valuable"?

UK's postgraduate world is something totally new to me, I still have to figure how it works.

Thanks in advance

Edward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Royce_)
    Hello people, good evening

I'm a 21 years old guy from Italy, about to graduate in Business Administration with what should be (fingers crossed) a 2:1 or first, at my local uni in Turin.

I want to study something totally different in my MA, and I was interested in OU's MA in Classical Studies. I will be, of course, more than happy to take extra undegraduate courses to fill the "gap".

Anyway, my question is: if I actually get in and graduate from OU, will my MA be respected in further PhD iadmissions (in Classics) all over the UK and possibly USA? Or will it be considered not at the same level as other degrees? if that's the case, going for a MA in Distance Learning from Leicester, same subject, would be more "valuable"?

UK's postgraduate world is something totally new to me, I still have to figure how it works.

Thanks in advance

Edward
    Sorry, I can't really help you in terms of your actual question, but I would like to tell you that, I am from the USA and the quality of education of all levels is of lesser quality here than Europe, so if you are, futuristically speaking, interested in a PH.D. In the USA, any qualifications from Europe will be respected. Of course it depends on your chosen course of study and university (there are better and lesser quality schools) but in general, it will be highly regarded. I know for a fact, OU degrees are respected in the USA. Sorry I couldn't really help you, but I just wanted to give you that information. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is respected. You will see that some academics studied at the Open University and then went on to do higher degrees at respectable universities.

ReputationRep:
    See D J Ashton on this page http://www.bristol.ac.uk/pace/rec-dinners/current.html

ReputationRep:
    See this page as well http://www.wolfson.qmul.ac.uk/a-z-st...udence-allgood

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.