Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been working so much overtime for the past 2 years (which I don't get paid for), and for the past 2 months it's been over 16hrs a day. I had a holiday booked to go skiing 2 weeks ago and I even had to take my laptop with me and work in the evenings. When I came back one of my managers also made the comment that I wasn't committing enough to the client. That comment just destroyed me. Im shattered and exhausted. In the last 2 weeks I feel like I've had a massive breakdown and I can't stop crying. everyday I've been crying in the office. Now to make matters worse I seem to have picked up a virus/ flu and I'm effectively bed bound. So all in all feel like rock bottom. I just don't feel like myself anymore and don't know what to do

I went to the doctor today and he said yep you've got a virus, and you seem very stressed, you should take some time off... But he didn't write me a note. Now I just don't know what to do. I feel completely hopeless, I feel like I've massively burnt out and I just can't stop crying - has anyone been in this situation before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Hi,

I've been working so much overtime for the past 2 years (which I don't get paid for), and for the past 2 months it's been over 16hrs a day. I had a holiday booked to go skiing 2 weeks ago and I even had to take my laptop with me and work in the evenings. When I came back one of my managers also made the comment that I wasn't committing enough to the client. That comment just destroyed me. Im shattered and exhausted. In the last 2 weeks I feel like I've had a massive breakdown and I can't stop crying. everyday I've been crying in the office. Now to make matters worse I seem to have picked up a virus/ flu and I'm effectively bed bound. So all in all feel like rock bottom. I just don't feel like myself anymore and don't know what to do

I went to the doctor today and he said yep you've got a virus, and you seem very stressed, you should take some time off... But he didn't write me a note. Now I just don't know what to do. I feel completely hopeless, I feel like I've massively burnt out and I just can't stop crying - has anyone been in this situation before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why aren't you getting paid overtime? Is your work making you do this? If so, take legal action. If it's voluntary, cut down, also perhaps make another appointment with your gp about handling stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Why aren't you getting paid overtime? Is your work making you do this? If so, take legal action. If it's voluntary, cut down, also perhaps make another appointment with your gp about handling stress
    Well it's just consultancy so you get paid your salary to do the work. I am massively overloaded at the mo but my manager doesn't seem to be proactive at helping me. He just has a go at me if I don't do something for his client even though he goes home at 5pm and I say I'm so snowed under.

I just don't know what to do, I waited 4 hours today to see a walk in gp and it was totally pointless. I just feel so fed up and don't know what to do. I'm usually such a high performer, getting promoted quickly etc but I feel as if I've just completely lost it the last few weeks 🙁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get a doctor's note asap girl. Why are you working over time if you aren't getting paid? Leave that job and find another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Get a doctor's note asap girl. Why are you working over time if you aren't getting paid? Leave that job and find another.
    I guess because it's part of the duties of the job, of which I get paid a yearly salary.

I think it's been my managers comment that has really pushed me over the edge. The work hours are expected and no one is grateful. They just have a go at you for not doing something rather than thanking you for what you do. Aggh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well it's just consultancy so you get paid your salary to do the work. I am massively overloaded at the mo but my manager doesn't seem to be proactive at helping me. He just has a go at me if I don't do something for his client even though he goes home at 5pm and I say I'm so snowed under.

I just don't know what to do, I waited 4 hours today to see a walk in gp and it was totally pointless. I just feel so fed up and don't know what to do. I'm usually such a high performer, getting promoted quickly etc but I feel as if I've just completely lost it the last few weeks 🙁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless you're getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, this shouldn't be happening, it sounds like they're making you do more than you can handle for less pay which is awful, is it the fact that you aren't doing the work correctly and are having to redo it? Or is it literally just the fact that you are being given loads and loads of work to complete in less time than anyone could do so?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're getting paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, this shouldn't be happening, it sounds like they're making you do more than you can handle for less pay which is awful, is it the fact that you aren't doing the work correctly and are having to redo it? Or is it literally just the fact that you are being given loads and loads of work to complete in less time than anyone could do so?
    I've got 17 clients I look after. I'm also studying as part of a qualification they want me to do which means I'm meant to have 1 study day a week (even though I haven't been physically able to take one yet this year because of all the work). So basically 17 demanding clients for 4 days (in theory) a week. Some people have 8 clients! I just wish my manager was more proactive at tying to help me, I feel like there's a conflict of interest as he just wants me to work more more more for his client

Also I ain't getting no where near hundreds of thousands fo pounds. Try less than £40k in the city

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've got 17 clients I look after. I'm also studying as part of a qualification they want me to do which means I'm meant to have 1 study day a week (even though I haven't been physically able to take one yet this year because of all the work). So basically 17 demanding clients for 4 days (in theory) a week. Some people have 8 clients! I just wish my manager was more proactive at tying to help me, I feel like there's a conflict of interest as he just wants me to work more more more for his client

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you really need to take it up with him then, do you have a contract that states your required work load? I mean regardless you're taking on way too much and you can't continue like this but especially if he is breaching the terms of your signed contract, you can basically just tell him flat out you're not doing it

ReputationRep:
    I think you really need to take it up with him then, do you have a contract that states your required work load? I mean regardless you're taking on way too much and you can't continue like this but especially if he is breaching the terms of your signed contract, you can basically just tell him flat out you're not doing it
    Quoted hours are 35 but you 'may be expected to work longer'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quoted hours are 35 but you 'may be expected to work longer'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Get someone with some understanding of employment law to look at your contract. Keep a log of the work you are doing and roughly the time it is taking. Start doing that now.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above poster, you shouldn't be burning yourself out like this and your employer has an obligation to keep your best interest in mind, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    become more efficient
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like you need to take some time out of consulting (either permanently or temporarily, in the case of an MBA/Masters). Is it possible to get seconded? Have you had recruiters contact you about internal consulting/functional roles?

Maybe explore your options from here on out.

Alternatively, would it be at all possible to sit down with your case team and have an honest discussion about your hours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Get someone with some understanding of employment law to look at your contract. Keep a log of the work you are doing and roughly the time it is taking. Start doing that now.
    That won't do any good. Investment banks, consulting firms and law firms are notorious for working junior staff hard; it's pretty normal to exceed contract hours. In fact, I'm sure most new hires sign themselves out of the European working hours legislation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    That won't do any good. Investment banks, consulting firms and law firms are notorious for working junior staff hard; it's pretty normal to exceed contract hours. In fact, I'm sure most new hires sign themselves out of the European working hours legislation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, if you want to work in investment banking in any kind of decent division expect to actually work 80 hour weeks as a minimum unless you work in sales. Take your pick: guaranteed money or sensible hours.

Even in the second rate division I landed in you were supposed to be faking working 60-80 hours a week. And I got paid 45k to start plus bonus. I quit.

My advice to the OP, unless doing this for the rest of your life interests you on some level, quit and find something more worthwhile to do with your life. FYI it's not unusual for working hours in anything "competitive" or prestigious to be 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week for months on end.

ReputationRep:
    Get a new job?
    Happiness > Money
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    Lol, if you want to work in investment banking in any kind of decent division expect to actually work 80 hour weeks as a minimum unless you work in sales. Take your pick: guaranteed money or sensible hours.

Even in the second rate division I landed in you were supposed to be faking working 60-80 hours a week. And I got paid 45k to start plus bonus. I quit.

My advice to the OP, unless doing this for the rest of your life interests you on some level, quit and find something more worthwhile to do with your life. FYI it's not unusual for working hours in anything "competitive" or prestigious to be 16+ hours a day, 7 days a week for months on end.
    Lol I knew this already, you might have quoted the wrong person. Tbf, markets people don't work 80hrs a week it's more 60 in that division.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol I knew this already, you might have quoted the wrong person. Tbf, markets people don't work 80hrs a week it's more 60 in that division.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seemed to think it was negotiable how many hours you work.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CharlieGEM)
    You seemed to think it was negotiable how many hours you work.
    Nope, that was definitely the person I was replying to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Resign. Take a break. Then decide what to do. If you're doing what you say you're doing then you'll have options. This is toxic, get out. I work long hours but my manager's are extremely good on the whole - you can do better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.