Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in doing an economics degree, so I was wondering what I can do to prepare for this. What A levels should i take etc etc.
    Im currently in yr 11

any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobbyd)
    I'm interested in doing an economics degree, so I was wondering what I can do to prepare for this. What A levels should i take etc etc.
    Im currently in yr 11

Get good A-levels. Why do you want to do economics? its one of the most boring courses.

ReputationRep:
    Just take strong traditional subjects i'd imagine

maths (for sure), physics, economics, history etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judas69)
    Get good A-levels. Why do you want to do economics? its one of the most boring courses.
    In your opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Judas69)
    lol im doing it for GCSE and i personally find it very interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    Just take strong traditional subjects i'd imagine

maths (for sure), physics, economics, history etc
    great thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer from Bristol, Edinburgh, Leicester and Birmingham for economics. Bristol is in the top 5ish. I do maths, law and sociology

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing maths, economics, geography and Spanish and I'm thinking of studying economics/economics with … (another subject eg Spanish)
    I would say definitely take maths and if you believe you are good enough further maths too if you are looking LSE.
    I'm finding Geography is actually a really good subject with economics, it links really well.
    History would also be another good subject to do as it is essay based and shows that you can write essays well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krazy7)
    I've got an offer from Bristol, Edinburgh, Leicester and Birmingham for economics. Bristol is in the top 5ish. I do maths, law and sociology
    Congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karinaabrown)
    I'm currently doing maths, economics, geography and Spanish and I'm thinking of studying economics/economics with … (another subject eg Spanish)
    I would say definitely take maths and if you believe you are good enough further maths too if you are looking LSE.
    I'm finding Geography is actually a really good subject with economics, it links really well.
    History would also be another good subject to do as it is essay based and shows that you can write essays well.
    Oh good luck! Do you feel that your lack of Further maths may hinder your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shumaya)
    Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History
    that's what i took

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in yr 11

1. Hard Work. You have to be prepared to work hard at A-level, maybe not constantly, but if you always slack around you won't get anywhere, even if you're a super-genius. Top universities will only take in people who are prepared to work hard.

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, Maths too. Business Studies and Computer Science might be useful, but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.

ReputationRep:
    You need Further Maths for top unis including:

- Cambridge
    - Warwick
    - LSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)
    1. Hard Work. You have to be prepared to work hard at A-level, maybe not constantly, but if you always slack around you won't get anywhere, even if you're a super-genius. Top universities will only take in people who are prepared to work hard.

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, maths too. Business Studies would be good, and computer science might be useful but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.
    I've been told business studies and econ arent a good combination to take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimGB)

2. Take A-levels that relate to Economics. A-level Economics is a good start, maths too. Business Studies would be good, and computer science might be useful but since they're not considered facilitating subjects, you'll need to do another one that is considered harder. For Economics, probably Further Maths, History or Geography, depending on what you enjoy more.

3. Hard Work.

4. Hard Work.

5. Hard Work.
    You shouldn't do business especially if your doing economics as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kholmes1)
    You shouldn't do business especially if your doing economics as well.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    You need Further Maths for top unis including:

- Cambridge
    - Warwick
    - LSE...
    Yeah im deffo doing further maths lol

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in yr 11

Do A-Level Maths, Further Maths, any two humanities/social sciences.
    Get AAAA.
    Apply to top universities.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told business studies and econ arent a good combination to take?
    Business Studies is probably the closest subject to Economics, although it is often considered an easy A-level, and many students take it for that reason, or in the hope of earning more money in the future. So your class would most likely have a lot of people who aren't really too bothered which could be distracting. And as I've said it is relatively easy. But there are some crossovers between the subjects and if you follow rules 1, 3, 4 and 5 you may be able to get some useful information for an Economics course. But this is just me talking out of my ass, I didn't take A level business so I don't really know what it's like. I do know though that it's not highly regarded by many universities, and so should be taken as an extra subject/fourth A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.