Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am attending Glasgow uni summer school this summer to gain entry to year 1 in september, studying engineering and physics. I've been told it runs from the 20th June to 15th July. However, does anyone know what form exams take - eg closed book written or reports/presentations, and when they take place. Are they all in the last week or spread throughout. Also how intense are the courses - is constant studying required or could I afford a weekend away?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by cmart1)
    Hello, I am attending Glasgow uni summer school this summer to gain entry to year 1 in september, studying engineering and physics. I've been told it runs from the 20th June to 15th July. However, does anyone know what form exams take - eg closed book written or reports/presentations, and when they take place. Are they all in the last week or spread throughout. Also how intense are the courses - is constant studying required or could I afford a weekend away?
    Maybe ask in here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3754869
    University of Glasgow 2016 applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by cmart1)
    Hey there,

As jneill pointed out, there's a useful thread for 2016 applicants, and there's also a University of Glasgow forum page which you can check out.

Summer schools, as with university courses, are subject to change year on year. Engineering exams are typically closed book, and may last around 1-2 hours, but for a precursor to first year this may well be different. It's also very common for each class to have a report element in it. The exam should be at the end of the term and, if you do have a report, it should be finishing up just before the exams.

This is just knowledge I'm basing from engineering classes here at Glasgow Uni, you will be advised exactly what will happen when you start school. As for intensity, it of course depends on each person. Keep on top of the work and I'm sure you'll be able to afford some time off.

Hope this helps, definitely get in touch directly with the Engineering department if you have more specific questions, if more general then please let me know!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, useful info!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.