Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The question is:

'A steel rod 30m long holds 1.5kN weight at its lower end as shown in Fig Q7.
    Diameter of the rod is 6mm. Calculate maximal stress (MPa) in the rod when
    neglecting the weight of the rod. Required accuracy is 0.1 MPa.'

I used
    stress=Force/Area
    1500/2.83x10-5=53MPa

However this doesn't take in to account the length of the bar so I'm not sure if it's correct?

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sljmaster)
    The question is:

'A steel rod 30m long holds 1.5kN weight at its lower end as shown in Fig Q7.
    Diameter of the rod is 6mm. Calculate maximal stress (MPa) in the rod when
    neglecting the weight of the rod. Required accuracy is 0.1 MPa.'

I used
    stress=Force/Area
    1500/2.83x10-5=53MPa

However this doesn't take in to account the length of the bar so I'm not sure if it's correct?
    If you can neglect the weight of the rod it can be any length you like. Unless there is something in the diagram, the stress is the same everywhere which makes me wonder why the word maximal has been used. You have not quoted to the required accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    If you can neglect the weight of the rod it can be any length you like. Unless there is something in the diagram, the stress is the same everywhere which makes me wonder why the word maximal has been used. You have not quoted to the required accuracy.
    That's what I thought but as they gave me length made me question it. These are just practise questions but yes the accuracy is also wrong.

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.