Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My parents will not support me financially at university, what should I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am in really difficult position, my parents are not very supportive of my decision to attend university in September. I come from a high income household meaning that my hypothetical maintenance loan is nowhere near sufficient to cover the costs of living that I will face in the forthcoming year.

I am EU national who's lived in the UK for over three years. This makes me eligible for same maintanance loan as UK nationals. It also makes me eligible for tuition in Scotland.

For this reason I applied to three Scottish universities with the idea of getting free tuition. I also applied to two University of London colleges in an attempt to get a larger maintenance loan whilst commuting daily from home.

After making further considerations, I don't think I can physically afford to attend any university other then the two London universities, which, to be completely honest are nowhere near as reputable as Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Studying Economics is my dream and it really sucks to be in this position. What should I do? I can:
    -Work for a year to save up, and re-apply next year.
    -Attend my local universities where I currently hold offers (Royal Holloway/Birkbeck)
    -Apply to universities in Milan Italy next year where I'm eligible for free education and I can stay with family.
    -Give up on university and look for apprenticeships.

Any help or further suggestions which you can add to list are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

PS: I have already had a year out of education this year.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Just a quick question, did you not work during your year out?

Also, all options you've suggested can be carried out very successfully if planned properly. Since their is no magic way to conjure up money out of thin air, and you can't force your parents to give you money, your only option will be to get a job and save up, perhaps look to see if there are any other family members to help you or if cost really is a strain and you're determined to go to uni, then maybe staying in London will be your best bet....

However, if you feel you'll be REALLY unhappy at the said unis (and not everything is about prestige as you've stated in your post), then it's advisable that you take a year out and really work your derriere off for the next academic cycle.

Emotional blackmail.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Can you work full time over the summer and then part time during your degree?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree. Work full time at summer then part time during your studies.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Cognoscente)
    Hi everyone,

I am in really difficult position, my parents are not very supportive of my decision to attend university in September. I come from a high income household meaning that my hypothetical maintenance loan is nowhere near sufficient to cover the costs of living that I will face in the forthcoming year.
    Have you talked to your parents to understand why they are objecting to you going to university?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am EU national who's lived in the UK for over three years. This makes me eligible for same maintanance loan as UK nationals. It also makes me eligible for tuition in Scotland.

For this reason I applied to three Scottish universities with the idea of getting free tuition. I also applied to two University of London colleges in an attempt to get a larger maintenance loan whilst commuting daily from home.

After making further considerations, I don't think I can physically afford to attend any university other then the two London universities, which, to be completely honest are nowhere near as reputable as Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.

Studying Economics is my dream and it really sucks to be in this position. What should I do? I can:
    -Attend my local universities where I currently hold offers (Royal Holloway/Birkbeck)
    -Apply to universities in Milan Italy next year where I'm eligible for free education and I can stay with family.

Any help or further suggestions which you can add to list are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

the two best options here are

-Apply to universities in Milan Italy next year where I'm eligible for free
    education and I can stay with family.

I saved up £3000 for uni working 5 afternoons a week at the old minimum wage (about £5 p/h) so that should cover your accommodation for first year and your loan will cover your tuition.

Studying in Italy also sounds fun i mean living in another country for 3 years what's not to like also the weather is much nicer over there than in London or Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, that sounds difficult. I'm actually in a similar situation to you although my parent is supportive except he doesn't currently have much spare income (even though he classes as upper income bracket); I'm also on a year out.

I've applied for for Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Aberdeen, and Stirling. According to my calculations, it would be possible to live on the maintenance loan and about 15- 20 hours of work a week. I realise you live in London though so perhaps you would have to budget more for travel but you might find that once you were there your parents would want to chip in to help to come home for the holidays.

It might be worth you trying to get your parents interested in the whole process. Have you been to visit any of the universities you applied to with them? Royal Holloway is actually a very good university! Perhaps you should look into it more...

Understanding your parents' reasons for being adversed might help to get around the problem. Also, if they are THAT difficult perhaps Milan would not be such a bad option. It actually sounds like a good option. It's worth considering that at undergraduate level it doesn't really matter where you get your degree - it's more what you get out of it and the classification. Where you do your Masters does matter though. That's why I haven't applied to Oxford for undergraduate level (I'm interested in a career in academia) - the debt would be enormous - although I might look into it for postgrad.

So I suppose what I'm suggesting is EITHER to take on a bit of paid work and go ahead with a Scottish university - I don't think you should give up! Lots of people do it this way Also apply for scholarships; there aren't many but Aberdeen have some. The deadline has passed for Glasgow but you can could apply next year. By all means try and save up what you can, that's what I'm doing now. OR, I agree with the person above, try the Milan option. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I would either take a year out and work, live at home or do an apprenticeship. (In case one does the apprenticeship as real alternative and not just out of monetary issues.)

Concerning Milan: Are you sure, you can spend all your studies with your family? Because finding a room in Milan can be very expensive, too. And the job market can be ... (Source: Italians explaining, why they do not study at Milan and exchange students.)

Concerning tuition: You don't have to pay it back until you get a job.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

You do have a number of options.

1. If you do not go this year, can you afford to move out at all? If you live independently for 3 years then you are no longer considered financially dependent on your parents. Obviously this involves moving out and waiting.
    2. Go to a very local university, where your own costs will be your tuition fees which are covered fully by student finance, and your living fees kept to a minimum.
    3. Contact Student Finance and explain your situation to them. It might help you never know.
    4. Will your parents continue to pay for your basic living i.e a roof over your head? If you don't pay rent to them then it is possible for you to live off the lower maintenance loan for food, books etc while continuing to live at home?
    5. As for tuition in Scotland, your issue isn't about affording the tuition, it's about affording your lifestyle. No free Uni fees are going to change the fact that you cannot afford to live away from home without some support. If you can stay in Italy with Family then that would be feasible, because you have support on living costs.

(These are just ideas, and they may be wrong, in which case I hope someone will correct me )

(Original post by ellej93)
    Yeah I agree. Work full time at summer then part time during your studies.
    Do you realise how much living costs? Simply living off of savings with a part time job isn't exactly feasible, especially in London.

ReputationRep:
    is it possible to work for a couple of years before starting? I know it's not ideal but if you lived at home and worked full time you could probably save enough to supplement your loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    Hi,

You do have a number of options.

1. If you do not go this year, can you afford to move out at all? If you live independently for 3 years then you are no longer considered financially dependent on your parents. Obviously this involves moving out and waiting.
    2. Go to a very local university, where your own costs will be your tuition fees which are covered fully by student finance, and your living fees kept to a minimum.
    3. Contact Student Finance and explain your situation to them. It might help you never know.
    4. Will your parents continue to pay for your basic living i.e a roof over your head? If you don't pay rent to them then it is possible for you to live off the lower maintenance loan for food, books etc while continuing to live at home?
    5. As for tuition in Scotland, your issue isn't about affording the tuition, it's about affording your lifestyle. No free Uni fees are going to change the fact that you cannot afford to live away from home without some support. If you can stay in Italy with Family then that would be feasible, because you have support on living costs.

(These are just ideas, and they may be wrong, in which case I hope someone will correct me )

Do you realise how much living costs? Simply living off of savings with a part time job isn't exactly feasible, especially in London.
    With Loan + Savings + Part time I'm pretty sure it's easily feasible. 12 hours a week will pay £350 - £400/month and the savings and loan should cover accommodation.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HeyImJamie)
    With Loan + Savings + Part time I'm pretty sure it's easily feasible. 12 hours a week will pay £350 - £400/month and the savings and loan should cover accommodation.
    Do you really think it costs that much? In London?

With the lowest level loan (OP high income), savings and a part time job it will be very difficult to survive. Savings will be gone within maybe 6 months, maybe less (OP working for 3 months max in Summer), and part time jobs offer very small minimum wages. The cost of living in London is very high, especially considering a student has the additional costs of books and social life. Everything in London costs double what is costs anywhere else.

A person at Uni shouldn't HAVE to work in order to get by. Some Universities even ban you having a job during term time, and will kick you out if you do (I've known people this has happened to).

£350/£400PCM for 12 hours a week of work is a much higher rate of pay than you can expect from a part time job. Most shops will pay less than £6.50 an hour unless you're lucky, and this simply doesn't add up to £350/£400.

This is not a feasible or sustainable option really.

I have lived in London for nearly 2 years, and previously lived elsewhere in the UK. I work full time and I can hardly get by, let alone being at University, with a tiny loan relying on every diminishing savings. A part time job will offer little more than money for groceries, books and other living costs, if the Uni even allows a job that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tillybop)
    Do you really think it costs that much? In London?

With the lowest level loan (OP high income), savings and a part time job it will be very difficult to survive. Savings will be gone within maybe 6 months, maybe less (OP working for 3 months max in Summer), and part time jobs offer very small minimum wages. The cost of living in London is very high, especially considering a student has the additional costs of books and social life. Everything in London costs double what is costs anywhere else.

A person at Uni shouldn't HAVE to work in order to get by. Some Universities even ban you having a job during term time, and will kick you out if you do (I've known people this has happened to).

£350/£400PCM for 12 hours a week of work is a much higher rate of pay than you can expect from a part time job. Most shops will pay less than £6.50 an hour unless you're lucky, and this simply doesn't add up to £350/£400.

This is not a feasible or sustainable option really.

I have lived in London for nearly 2 years, and previously lived elsewhere in the UK. I work full time and I can hardly get by, let alone being at University, with a tiny loan relying on every diminishing savings. A part time job will offer little more than money for groceries, books and other living costs, if the Uni even allows a job that is.
    Considering I've lived in London since Birth, Yes.

Part time in retail is paid at round £7.90/hr (£7.30 + 60p London Premium) and that goes up when you hit 21. (I worked in Sainsburys for a year and a half, so I'm well aware of the income.) Also, I don't know where you're working that only pays £6.50 an hour when I've found it possible to earn more than that through a computer..

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just a heads-up that the residency rule for EU students is changing very soon. If you submit your SF application after 24th March, you will gave to prove five years' residency to get the Maintenance Loan, not three as before,

This may not be an issue for you, but worth raising it for other users as it hasn't been well publicised.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HeyImJamie)
    Considering I've lived in London since Birth, Yes.

Part time in retail is paid at round £7.90/hr (£7.30 + 60p London Premium) and that goes up when you hit 21. (I worked in Sainsburys for a year and a half, so I'm well aware of the income.) Also, I don't know where you're working that only pays £6.50 an hour when I've found it possible to earn more than that through a computer..
    £7.90/hr for a decent employer or large company, but for the most jobs, especially independent shops or smaller ones, you can only really expect minimum wage. Sainsburys and most other supermarkets pay well, that doesn't mean everywhere else does.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.