Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That's it really - I'm down to start one next week, and wondered what people's experiences were. For a few weeks I'll still be working (pt) then I can work all day! I have 2 kids so tend to be quite busy after school, but then have time once they're in bed again. So I was wondering what the workload is like, and how it all works.

Any comments/info gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation as you with p/t work and children. I'll be doing SKE chemistry rather than MFL but it will be online. I've spoken with my tutor at the Uni who helped set up the placement who told me to expect 25 hours of study / week. I'm looking forward to the chance to practice being a student again and see how it all balances out.
    Sounds can't really answer your question but I wanted to show some empathy and solidarity.
    😀

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I did one in MFL last year before starting my course in September. I did it online so managed to fit it relatively easy around my part time job. Completing all the necessary 'assignments' for that reaaaally didn't take that long. The only problem with it, I felt, was that the work you had to do in order to pass was much more general teaching/pedagogy based as opposed to how much you actually improved in your subject. I was trying to improve my Spanish and my SKE came with access to Rosetta Stone but I spent most of time doing the teaching/learning assignments that I could never really be bothered to do too much work on the Spanish side of things.

ReputationRep:
    thank you MissNeedham and Velmastaplebot!

That is interesting MissNeedham - and slightly perplexing, in that I thought the point of the SKE course was the language, and the ITT course would do the pedagogical bit. I guess it is what it is. Was yours with TES, may I ask? Mine is, and is also completely online.

Best of luck Velmastaplebot. I hope we're going to manage..! Where there's a will, huh?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm right with you, Sirpump.
    As long as I get to see my own children's teachers from time to time, it'll be fine. I'm looking forward to being able to be on hols at the same time as my children. 😀

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts exactly Sirpump! No it wasn't, as it happens, it was with Hibernia College so yours may be different.

ReputationRep:
    Hi both,
    Hibernia College is now part of the TES empire so likely to be the same!
    Velma

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.