What are averages and what defines them?

Watch
makin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Howdy

It says the main three averages are the mean, median and mode.

What defines an average in maths?

I can see that the mean of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is 4.

So it shows the average, of whatever the context of the data is, would be 4.

But I don't understand how median and mode are classed as averages and are there others like 'range' that are classed as an average?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by makin)
Howdy

It says the main three averages are the mean, median and mode.

What defines an average in maths?

I can see that the mean of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is 4.

So it shows the average, of whatever the context of the data is, would be 4.

But I don't understand how median and mode are classed as averages and are there others like 'range' that are classed as an average?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
An average is either of a mean, mode or median. They can each be useful in different cases, such as when you have extreme values that you want to ignore, then median becomes useful, etc... they roughly describe the 'normal' case, or the 'middle' case, if you get my drift?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All averages are different ways of evaluating the "middle" of the data. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Range is not an average, it is a measure of the "spread". There are other measure of spread that you will come across later on in statistics.
makin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Zacken)
An average is either of a mean, mode or median. They can each be useful in different cases, such as when you have extreme values that you want to ignore, then median becomes useful, etc... they roughly describe the 'normal' case, or the 'middle' case, if you get my drift?
(Original post by offhegoes)
All averages are different ways of evaluating the "middle" of the data. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Range is not an average, it is a measure of the "spread". There are other measure of spread that you will come across later on in statistics.
Thanks for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (103)
27.39%
England (126)
33.51%
Belgium (30)
7.98%
Germany (40)
10.64%
Spain (8)
2.13%
Italy (33)
8.78%
Netherlands (13)
3.46%
Other (Tell us who) (23)
6.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise