Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, guys! Maybe some of you are studying fashion merchandise management at university of Westminster? I got an offer and were dreaming about this university for so long, but recently i were chatting with 2 girls who are studying there and they both don't really like that, they are saying that the lecturers are rude and unwilling to help, so I thought maybe someone could tell some experience too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabrielejon)
    Hello, guys! Maybe some of you are studying fashion merchandise management at university of Westminster? I got an offer and were dreaming about this university for so long, but recently i were chatting with 2 girls who are studying there and they both don't really like that, they are saying that the lecturers are rude and unwilling to help, so I thought maybe someone could tell some experience too?
    Hi there!Congrats on getting your offer for the FMM course! I also very much wanted to get into Westminster on the merch course (over a similar course running at LCF!)
    I am a final year student on the FMM course (so I have been here nearly 4 years!) and I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with any of the teaching staff (full time or guest lecturers). It is true, they are very honest and very direct and this can often come across as 'rude' to some people. I can only presume your friends are either first or second years on this course and have not yet understood why the lecturers teach in this way. I can tell you that the way in which they teach/talk to you is only reflective of how you will be treated in industry and even then its not as bad as your friends have made out at all!!
    As for them being 'unwilling to help' I have to say first off that it is a Undergraduate degree that you are coming on to - its not school/college/6th form. At University there is an expected element of independent learning therefore the lecturers are not going to spoon feed you everything you need to know. Secondly, throughout all of my years here I have never found staff to be unhelpful. There is so much support in getting a placement in your first year on the FMM course vs the FBM course - that alone would lead me to highly recommend this course let alone, staff support with Uni work and contacts in industry after graduation etc etc!
    I hope this doesn't sound too harsh - its definitely not meant to be!! I feel that all students on this course - no matter what year you are in - should champion the degree/tutors who make it all happen. I have been student rep on the FMM course throughout my time here and I have learnt very quickly that it is about leaving a legacy behind and improving the course in the best way possible so that new students, like yourself, have a great time learning here, not to mention how good graduating off this course looks on your CV! That's why I am a little sad at your friends for throwing a negative light on the teaching staff here before you have even had a chance to experience it yourself!I really hope you decide to come on to this course in September!Jess Johnston

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! You have helped me a lot, now I'm sure that I will study there! Can't wait for September!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.