I live with my mum during the holidays, and she is currently separated from my dad (and not divorced). On her council tax bill, my mum gets a 25% discount because of 'People under 20 in full time education'. It does not say 'single occupancy'. Would her council tax bill suffice?
Her Housing Benefit letter on the other hand says that she is a 'lone parent' - would this be of any help?
Separated parent - how to give proof. watch
- Thread Starter
- 29-02-2016 23:18
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
- 231 followers
- 2 badges
- Send a private message to Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Offline2ReputationRep:Official TSR Representative
- Official TSR Representative
- 15-03-2016 13:17
We would not accept this. Here is a list of acceptable evidence:
- Decree Nisi
- Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount (SFE & SFW only)
- Solicitors letter confirming separation
- A Signed Affidavit - a sworn declaration they make in writing describing facts that they wish to state as true. They typically make an Affidavit under oath and sign it and have it stamped by a Solicitor.
- Statutory declaration - normally drafted by a Solicitor who is usually a Notary Public or can be drafted a a Legal Executive authorised to administer Oaths. Alternatively, the declaration can be made before a Magistrate (also known as a Justice of the Peace) or some Magistrates Clerks at a Magistrates Court.