Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been a music lover/musician for years and i've been buying records since I was in school. CDs, mp3s, whatever. It's shocked me how fast retailers have jumped back on vinyl due to this alleged "vinyl revival". While I like vinyl there's just something depressing about the whole thing.

Is this vinyl trend going to be long term you think or do you think the hype is simply going to die soon.

My main problem with it is that small labels and local scenes are not being supported and prices are getting silly.

I buy them because i always have done and love 70s music. Many which were never released on CD. I can't get my head around why vinyl has appeared everywhere again. Is it that people have discovered the analog sound again or is it just a load of hipster **** i shouldn't think too much about (vinyl being 'cool')?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jblackmoustache)
    I've been a music lover/musician for years and i've been buying records since I was in school. CDs, mp3s, whatever. It's shocked me how fast retailers have jumped back on vinyl due to this alleged "vinyl revival". While I like vinyl there's just something depressing about the whole thing

Is this vinyl trend going to be long term you think or do you think the hype is simply going to die soon.

My main problem with it is that small labels and local scenes are not being supported and prices are getting silly.

I buy them because i always have done and love 70s music. Many which were never released on CD. I can't get my head around why vinyl has appeared everywhere again.
    Spotify all the way home boy!

ReputationRep:
    I really badly want to buy some vinyls soon but I'm definitely still paying for music online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    Spotify all the way home boy!
    I love Spotify! Thinking about not being a cheapskate anymore and going premium and get rid of the annoying ads

ReputationRep:
    I love Spotify! Thinking about not being a cheapskate anymore and going premium and get rid of the annoying ads
    99p in Xmas for 3 months. My premium runs out in a couple days though. Was so worth it. But not worth 15 quid a month lol. I'll have to find a cheaper way to get it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've seen an upshoot in vinyl buyers and marketing. Also it's helped that a lot of modern classics are being released on Vinyl too, so it's not just thenostalgic dadrockers audience getting in on it. Pretty cool tbh

ReputationRep:
    Growing vinyl sales are great. As convenient as digital music is, not having the artwork or going through the physical act of playing the music does take something away from it. Although I don't think we will ever see several music shops in each city with large dedicated vinyl sections again.

I really music dig out my technics sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Yeah I've seen an upshoot in vinyl buyers and marketing. Also it's helped that a lot of modern classics are being released on Vinyl too, so it's not just thenostalgic dadrockers audience getting in on it. Pretty cool tbh
    I find a lot of the well known / easily found classics sold on the high street way too overpriced. I would never pay £20 for a Fleetwood Mac album when i can find one cheap in a charity shop in a less cool/pretentious part pf town

Then again prog rock and classic rock albums have always been a bit expensive

ReputationRep:
    I find a lot of the classics sold on the high street way too overpriced. I would never pay £20 for a Fleetwood Mac album when i can find one cheap in a charity shop in a less cool/pretentious part pf town
    Yeah, they know the type of hipster ********s looking to buy it will be easily parted with their money, hence the high price. But usually you can get used ones in great condition for under a tenner, I'm lucky where I live there's a very large vinyl store selling used and new ones. I don't have a record player, but went in there with a friend who does and it is cool having something physical there in front of you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've been a music lover/musician for years and i've been buying records since I was in school. CDs, mp3s, whatever. It's shocked me how fast retailers have jumped back on vinyl due to this alleged "vinyl revival". While I like vinyl there's just something depressing about the whole thing.

I buy them because i always have done and love 70s music. Many which were never released on CD. I can't get my head around why vinyl has appeared everywhere again. Is it that people have discovered the analog sound again or is it just a load of hipster **** i shouldn't think too much about (vinyl being 'cool')?
    I have a few records, mostly second hand ones from the 1970s but I have one new one one, too. I like having them as a collection, even if I don't play them often. I do really like the ritual of taking the record out of the sleeve, cleaning it, placing it on the player, dropping the needle, the crackle and finally the start of the music. I wouldn't necessarily say the sound it better but I like having the records, particularly old ones as they're a direct link with the past.

Mostly I buy CDs because when I pay for music I need a physical item to justify the cost and secondly I just like having a collection, especially of rare things or early editions before an album got very popular.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.