Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone bought a car from auction before and can tell me how it works?

My uncle bought a car from British Car Auctions and he only received MOT papers, nothing else, no service history or log book. Also wherever I go and put number plate in such as when checking how long tax and MOT is, the plate does not get recognized.

I'm thinking of applying for a log book where I have to pay £25 but does anyone know how long it takes to come by post? Is there any way I can tax my car immediately?

ReputationRep:
    At BCA there are usually two offices depending on the site.
    There's the payment office where you get your logbook and there's another office where all the historic papers (if any) are kept.

If you're bidding as a member of the public you bid - don't fart around, make it clear to the auctioneer you're bidding. If you're prepared to bid the highest you'll win the car. OK, you've won - go up to the side of the rostrum and pay your deposit.
    When you're ready you take your reciept that you were given at the rostrum to the cash office and you can pay up. In theory you can leave this as long as you like but you'll get charged for storage beyond 48 hours (irrc?).
    As a member of the public you have to prove you have insurance before they will release the logbook. Trade have their traders insurance already logged on the system so they will be given the logbook. Joe public will have to fill out the logbook and you will only get the green slip and MOT.
    You then need to go to the key office and get your keys.
    You then go to the paperwork office and pick up your folder of history if one is supplied.
    You must now pick up the phone and tax your car.
    Now you can drive away but you'll have to show your paperwork to the guard on the gate.

Easy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.