Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you content with life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not currently. When I was 17/18 I had the opportunity on a plate to sign a professional rugby contract as I was at a very prestigious sports college. But being an impressionable idiot I let a very selfish 'friend' lead me astray so I ended up partying nearly every night and missing college all the time and lost my place at the college I was playing rugby at. Now one of my friends from that college is a first team regular for the welsh national team and playing in the six nations at the moment and also just participated in the world cup. I feel like I've already failed life and I've just turned 24. I also wanted to do medicine but didn't make the cut grades wise, I still do want to do medicine but I feel age is not on my side anymore. Just got back from spending a year living in Australia too which was the most incredible experience of my life and for that year I truly felt content but of course all good things come to an end and my visa expired and I'm back in the UK and back to square one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrordinary)
    Not currently. When I was 17/18 I had the opportunity on a plate to sign a professional rugby contract as I was at a very prestigious sports college. But being an impressionable idiot I let a very selfish 'friend' lead me astray so I ended up partying nearly every night and missing college all the time and lost my place at the college I was playing rugby at. Now one of my friends from that college is a first team regular for the welsh national team and playing in the six nations at the moment and also just participated in the world cup. I feel like I've already failed life and I've just turned 24. I also wanted to do medicine but didn't make the cut grades wise, I still do want to do medicine but I feel age is not on my side anymore. Just got back from spending a year living in Australia too which was the most incredible experience of my life and for that year I truly felt content but of course all good things come to an end and my visa expired and I'm back in the UK and back to square one.
    I would have sympathy fro you but:
    1. I am incapable of felling such petty emotions
    2. If you act like a **** parting every night and not taking responsibility **** like this happens.
    3. You just posted that story so people go "Aww poor you..." you're clearly built like a man but you whine like a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    I would have sympathy fro you but:
    1. I am incapable of felling such petty emotions
    2. If you act like a **** parting every night and not taking responsibility **** like this happens.
    3. You just posted that story so people go "Aww poor you..." you're clearly built like a man but you whine like a *****.
    Looooooool that was a bit much! Appreciate the response nonetheless though. I'm not going to sink to your level and insult you back but in response to point 3 you made there, I'm not fishing for sympathy at all I am literally, simply doing nothing more than just offering a bit of background as to why I'm not content, that is honestly it, it's really not any deeper than that. However, I do agree with point 2!

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Those who are not content. You should stop chasing after things you want, and accept the things you have at all times. There isn't a point where you just become happy like Eurrka! It's all in the mind. That's why some slaves are happier/content than those with unlimited funds.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Somewhat. I have moments of clarity where I feel pretty good about my life and my choices and what I'm doing. And then I have a lot more moments where I'm like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, and everything gets too much and I want to curl up in a dark room and sleep for a few months. I, like someone else has said, am probably currently having some kind of existential crisis where I'm figuring out my place in the world and realising life isn't what I thought it was when I was 17 ... way more stressful, less happy ending more continuous cycle of **** with a few laughs thrown in...

I definitely could be more content ... I'm working on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawbringer)
    Yep. Those who are not content. You should stop chasing after things you want, and accept the things you have at all times. There isn't a point where you just become happy like Eurrka! It's all in the mind. That's why some slaves are happier/content than those with unlimited funds.
    That's what I think! You just managed to put it into words
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, but I also don't think I ever will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxfsxh)
    Considering I've created three threads today, that would imply something however, I'd say I'm content with life
    I don't really like the idea of contentedness, seems to sort of imply that you don't want to improve. I don't think I could ever be content, cause I'd always have some goal that I'm working towards, something that I'd want to improve. I'm happy with my life, but never content with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SageJiraiya)
    I think I'm going through one of those 'existential crisis' things at the moment. So I'd have to say no.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y&t=1m21s

ReputationRep:
    That's what I think! You just managed to put it into words
    Yep, many stoics from 1000s of years ago have put in ways better than I ever will. I lot of people interpret being content with never growing as person, but it's more that you are happy with any situation you face, and obviously you reach new goals/targets and improve yourself. It doesn't mean being a lazy **** (like I am) is a good thing -_- lol.

It's a hard concept, same reason why people believe in a heaven. It's easier to think that 1 day it will all just click and will be amazing forever after.

From one of the one powerful men in his time, Caesar Marcus aurelius, someone who had more than we all will probably have:
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

(Original post by Luke Kostanjsek)
    I don't really like the idea of contentedness, seems to sort of imply that you don't want to improve. I don't think I could ever be content, cause I'd always have some goal that I'm working towards, something that I'd want to improve. I'm happy with my life, but never content with it.

what do you think above what I wrote above?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, many stoics from 1000s of years ago have put in ways better than I ever will. I lot of people interpret being content with never growing as person, but it's more that you are happy with any situation you face, and obviously you reach new goals/targets and improve yourself. It doesn't mean being a lazy **** (like I am) is a good thing -_- lol.

It's a hard concept, same reason why people believe in a heaven. It's easier to think that 1 day it will all just click and will be amazing forever after.

From one of the one powerful men in his time, Caesar Marcus aurelius, someone who had more than we all will probably have:
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

what do you think above what I wrote above?
    I guess we just view the word as having different connotations. It's hard to explain; I said I'm happy with myself in my post but even that wasn't quite right. It's more that I'm happy with what I've achieved. I don't like the notion of being comfortable with myself, cause it kind of implicitly means that if you remained that way for the rest of your life, you wouldn't view that as a failure. Whereas I absolutely would; the thought of festering, of not improving, is one of the worst things I could imagine for myself.

ReputationRep:
    I guess we just view the word as having different connotations. It's hard to explain; I said I'm happy with myself in my post but even that wasn't quite right. It's more that I'm happy with what I've achieved. I don't like the notion of being comfortable with myself, cause it kind of implicitly means that if you remained that way for the rest of your life, you wouldn't view that as a failure. Whereas I absolutely would; the thought of festering, of not improving, is one of the worst things I could imagine for myself.
    Just a thought then, what have you achieved? Because to me, all the things you can practically do is dictated by environmental and genetic factors, I guess my view of the world is deterministic.

I don't undermine people who have achieved things but I don't view the goal of life as improving all the time. This is true in real life with millions if not billions of people doing jobs that are monotonous and lead to almost no self improvement. I think it's simply naive to say everyone can improve in major ways, but in minor ways we all can and here is where I agree. Though we can argue the meaning of improvement.
    Very few are destined to be politicians rich and so forth.

This is my view and I hope to see what you honestly think. If it is not clear, please know that I am trying to be respectful but I rarely talk long stuff on the internet so i'm very amateurish at making my posts seem polite and clear as is my intention lol. I am very open to learning and would love to take another view or be shown weakness in mines so I can become wiser!(even though i'm an idiot!)

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're saying but for me it's the opposite- for me, happy implies that you have no willingness to improve.

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought then, what have you achieved? Because to me, all the things you can practically do is dictated by environmental and genetic factors, I guess my view of the world is deterministic.

I don't undermine people who have achieved things but I don't view the goal of life as improving all the time. This is true in real life with millions if not billions of people doing jobs that are monotonous and lead to almost no self improvement. I think it's simply naive to say everyone can improve in major ways, but in minor ways we all can and here is where I agree. Though we can argue the meaning of improvement.
    Very few are destined to be politicians rich and so forth.

This is my view and I hope to see what you honestly think. If it is not clear, please know that I am trying to be respectful but I rarely talk long stuff on the internet so i'm very amateurish at making my posts seem polite and clear as is my intention lol. I am very open to learning and would love to take another view or be shown weakness in mines so I can become wiser!(even though i'm an idiot!)
    Hahaha don't worry, I don't take offense easily and love a good debate

When I talk about improvement, it's entirely in the context of a personal contest. I mean, as an example, I suffered a string of injuries over 2 years ending last summer, and I decided that given that I was healthy again I wanted to get fit. I know I'll never be as fit as some people (I'm carrying some long term issues with my right foot and ankle), but that's not what it's about. It's about improving any way I can. The first time I could complete a set of handstand pressups, the first time I could do one handed pullups; it's the best feeling, knowing that I've made myself in some way better than I was a few months prior.

On the flipside, academically speaking I've done well but that isn't so important to me, because I always kind of new I would. The result I'm actually proudest of is an A in AS history, cause I when I started the year I was working at a C grade. I'm much much better at maths and sciences than history, but for precisely that reason my maths and sciences grades don't mean as much to me. It isn't so much about how good I am in the grand scheme of things, but how much better I am than I was. Because if I know that I could improve, but I don't, then that's the ultimate failure to me. I could have been better, but I'm not and the only reason is that I couldn't be arsed to make myself better.

I certainly see your point in terms of careers; we aren't all destined for great things. Personally, I still don't know what I wanna do yet. Currently, I'm thinking either armed forces or a police detective. If I do go for one of those paths, then it's fairly safe to assume I'd never be minted. But in my chosen field, I'd work my ass off to do my best, to earn performance bonuses, to earn promotions etc because that's how I judge my own success. It's not about being the best at something, it's about being better than I was.

I hope that made some sense, it's incredibly difficult to try and put into words

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're saying but for me it's the opposite- for me, happy implies that you have no willingness to improve.
    Personally, I can't ever imagine having no willingness to improve. It's fundamental to me, the desire to be better than I was. It's almost what drives me I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I can't ever imagine having no willingness to improve. It's fundamental to me, the desire to be better than I was. It's almost what drives me I guess.
    Likewise, I believe that there is never a time where life cannot need improving and thus contentment is basically just an acceptance of your life's happenings at the time; if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Likewise, I believe that there is never a time where life cannot need improving and thus contentment is basically just an acceptance of your life's happenings at the time; if that makes sense?
    Yeah, it makes sense. But again, for me at least, acceptance carries the implication that you're happy with your shortcomings. And I'm absolutely not, I'm not happy with my shortcomings at all. I'd far rather challenge my shortcomings.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it makes sense. But again, for me at least, acceptance carries the implication that you're happy with your shortcomings. And I'm absolutely not, I'm not happy with my shortcomings at all. I'd far rather challenge my shortcomings.
    I agree with you; but I'd reword and say that I am happy with my shortcomings to the extent at which I have achieved- that does not bar me from exceeding and progressing further.

ReputationRep:
    You should never be content with life, that is when you become comfortable and stop striving for more.. But in relation to the question I am certainly not content right now no, maybe if i had a job that would help a great deal

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you; but I'd reword and say that I am happy with my shortcomings to the extent at which I have achieved- that does not bar me from exceeding and progressing further.
    Maybe I'm just more self critical. I'm thoroughly unhappy with my shortcomings; it's what drives me to fix them. I am incredibly happy and proud about what I've achieved, but at the same time not at all happy about what I've yet to achieve, if that makes any sense?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.